Author Topic: Painter Crashes on Startup  (Read 3555 times)

Any new insights on this?

I still can't get Painter to start. I just tried deleting all the ".alg_meta" files as well, but to no avail. :(

Ha! I think I found something! :)

I have a custom shelf where I add stuff from the "Monthly Drop" and "Substance Share".
I now moved this shelf to another place so Painter only sees an empty custom shelf and creates a new directory structure.

-> Painter now starts and runs again. Yeah!

The I started moving back the directories one by one, every time testing if Painter still runs successfully.
After copying back my "generators" directory it started crashing again.
Luckily there were only 5 files in there, so I tested them one after the other and finally found the one single culprit file that crashed Painter every time! It's a simple PNG file in a "resources" directory and it's called "scratched_metal.png".

After deleting this file only, Painter starts reliably again.

I don't know why there's a "scratched_metal.png" inside the "generators" folder because none of the sbsar files there needs it.
I thought maybe it's a faulty PNG file, so I replaced it with another and renamed it to "scratched_metal.png". And BAM! Painter crashed again.

So what it boils down to is that a single PNG inside the "generators" folder of a (custom) shelf reliably crashes Painter.

I hope this helps others! Oh, and it would be even better if Painter just didn't crash, even with a PNG inside this folder ;)

Cheers
Steffen

Thanks a lot for the new info ! I was able to reproduce the crash.
I have logged it into our database ! :)
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.