Author Topic: Alternatives to Marmoset Viewer  (Read 6340 times)

In the next few months, I hope to add Marmoset Toolbag to my repertoire of software, but until that happens, I would like to have an alternative PBR-utilising embed-able 3D model viewer on my portfolio.

I have looked into Sketchfab but don't really like the results, and much prefer the look and feel of Marmoset Viewer, but will not have that for the next few months.

Does anyone know of any free or paid alternatives to Marmoset Viewer that are PBR-ready and website embed-able?

P.S. If any Allegorithmic staff see this post, I think it would be a very good addition to Substance Live if you would consider creating your own online PBR-ready model viewer.
Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:30:31 pm

If you don't mind a tiny little bit of coding, you can create a basic viewer yourself in Unity 5 free and then export to Unity Web Player. It depends on what your needs are, but if you just need the viewer to rotate around an asset you created or something like that, it is pretty easy to do in Unity. I can send you a small example project if you like. The pbr shaders look pretty good to my eyes.

Hi,

We have an alternative on its way soon : ) We have announced iRay integration coming in SD 5.3. Stay tuned for more information. Here is screen shot of an internal build.

Cheers,
Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I actually use Unity as my viewer... and the results are stunning. My PBR shader set is Alloy and I have to keep Unity open to see the results and the post processing helps me a lot.

Thanks for the hints guys.
The only issue I have with building the viewer in Unity 5 (having built one a few months ago) is that the Unity Web Player, or more specifically NPAPI's are no longer supported by Chrome, Edge, FireFox or Oracle, making it almost useless as a web-based build frame, and the WebGL builds I have had nothing but failures with when they are up on a server.

Hi, I know it's an old thread but I'm also interested in a stand alone web viewer for my clients. I use substance painter for product visualisation and I currently export to marmoset and upload a .mviewer file to a website. It's a bit long winded and the compression on the files is too much for my taste. I want to be able to share what I am seeing in the substance painter 3D view and allow the client to zoom in and out and spin the HDRI (like sketchfab and marmoset). Wes, when you said something is in the pipeline, were you only referring to the Iray render function? It would be a dream to hit a button in substance painter and export a textured model with hdri in a web friendly format.

Steve

Is Sketchfab not adequate?  Why not?

I created a Sketchfab account for the "Meet MAT" contest, but other than uploading that one model I don't know much about Sketchfab.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

If you don't mind a tiny little bit of coding, you can create a basic viewer yourself in Unity 5 free and then export to Unity Web Player. It depends on what your needs are, but if you just need the viewer to rotate around an asset you created or something like that, it is pretty easy to do in Unity. I can send you a small example project if you like. The pbr shaders look pretty good to my eyes.