Author Topic: Noob Question for importing shared stuff (e.g. smart material)  (Read 31618 times)

Hi,
I'm an absolute beginner at Substance Painter (and just a hobbyist).

I made a little something in C4D and i would like to apply a smart material on it.
f.ex. the T800_Metal.spsm .

I downloaded the file from the Substance Share page and put it in the Shelf.

BUT:
It doesnt show in the Shelf when I open Painter ???

Since i have a small SSD as my C-drive, the programs are all installed on a separate drive. Dunno if that has something to do with it?
So typically, the exe program is here: K:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter
and the smart materials are situated here: K:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter\resources\shelf\allegorithmic\smart-materials

Plz Help Me find a solution !!
THX.

Hi,

You just need to drag & drop the smart material in the shelf, in the smart materials part, that's all :)

If you want to have it available in all projects, you need to put in the shelf which you defined in your Preferences. By Default it's in My Documents.

Cheers,
Nicolas
Director of Product Management & COO

Hm that does not work for me .. I have installed the latest Substance Designer and Painter, and I can't seem to do anything with these downloaded .spsm files. I can not drag and drop them to the smart material shelf in Substance Painter .. the mousepointer stays in the "forbidden" icon. Also, I wonder what I can do with them in Substance Designer? I'd like to have a look at them on how they are made.

Hey sentalize,

you can't use Smart Materials in Substance Designer, these are Substance Painter only files.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Thanks Fabian. Is this on purpose or just a lacking feature? I'd have liked to see how materials are built in Substance Designer. And I stillc an't drag and drop them in Substance Painter :P

Hey sentalize,

a Smart Material is just a saved layer stack from Substance Painter and no 'Material'. This is why you can't use them in another product.
You need to either drag and drop them into the shelf when Substance Painter is open or copy the files to
/documents/Substance Painter/shelf/Smart materials

Do not put anything in Program files/...
This is the wrong location.

Best regards

There are two shelf locations. If you're using windows, one is in your documents and one is in your program files. Materials dragged into the program files shelf won't show up, but it will if you put it in the Substance Painter shelf in the documents.

At least, that's how it works for me. I hope this helps.

*Edit:

You can choose a shelf location for Substance Painter in your settings. I noticed mine is set to a location in documents. I don't remember if I set this myself or if it set itself up :0  In any case, if you don't have a location preset you can make one. :)
Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 04:29:24 pm
3D art is magic.

That's great! Now how do you add things to Designer, like Grunge Maps, etc? The Documents folder technique doesn't seem to work in this case.

Hey Booska,

you can take a look at my quick-guide for the Substance Designer library here: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=5559.0

Best Regards