Author Topic: Mudbox and Substance Live  (Read 6318 times)

Hi guys, currently a post graduate and working as a freelance 3D artist for mobile game developers. My current tools are main Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop however I would love to subscribe substance live for my workflow. However, I can only afford a little therefore if I subscribe Substance Live I will unsubscribe Mudbox. I do hand painting textures for some assets but can substance painter do the same?

Thanks.

Hey kuazino,

load the Trial version of Substance Painter and try it out ;)
Substance Painter should do fine with handpainted textures.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hey kuazino,

load the Trial version of Substance Painter and try it out ;)
Substance Painter should do fine with handpainted textures.

Best Regards

Did tried it out and really like how everything is so fast and non-destructive. However can't really do any hand painting textures from my way of doing stuff in Mudbox/Ps.

Hey kuazino,

what is your workflow and what are you trying to do?

Best Regards

uploaded a reference. Most of the assets that the company requires are mostly hand painted style. Can substance painter achieve something similar? Most of the gallery and examples I've seen are PBR and realistic/grunge/dirt style.

Hey juazino,

you can achieve something similar in Substance Painter, but you need to rethink a few steps.
Substance Painter is built for PBR Game workflows but you can use your own shaders to fit the hand painted texture workflow better.
There are a few artists out there who are working with Substance Painter and handpainted textures, maybe they can give you a few tips.

Best Regards

uploaded a reference. Most of the assets that the company requires are mostly hand painted style. Can substance painter achieve something similar? Most of the gallery and examples I've seen are PBR and realistic/grunge/dirt style.

No further input or suggestions on how to achieve this type of look? 

Hey outtoplay,

I did a bit hand painting textures myself (not good, but it was hand painted, at least ; )).
You can definitely achieve something like that with just the basic brush and blending colours together. That's the simplest method I know for Photoshop artists.

Unfortunately, you can't use smudge brushes or so, because Substance Painter has none of those at the moment. You could find some Hand painting tutorials for Photoshop, though. Try to use these techniques in Substance Painter. They should work, indeed.

If you have experience already: Sorry, I can't give you further tips, because I never was good at hand painting :D

Best Regards