Author Topic: Wierd material tiling  (Read 662 times)

Hi everyone, I am having a wierd problem with tiling. Most probably I'm doing something wrong in my workflow, but I can't figure out what.

Here on the pictures you can see my problem. The material isn't spreading nicely on the side of this rocky object as it is on the top of it. It tiles somehow wrong.
The model was created in Cinema 4d r16. I did both the high and low res versions there. Then I went to Substance Designer and baked a normal map from mesh for the low poly version using the high poly version.(I did this following the basic substance to unity workflow tutorial).

Is there any way to tackle this problem? Does this has something to do with the way I model and export from Cinema, or does it has to do with my baking process?

Hey edi.ferhatovic,

I assume it has neither to do with the export nor with the baking process. For me it looks like the UVs are squashed/stretched and not laid out nicely.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hi, thanks for the reply

Is there any way I can fix this?

Hey edi.ferhatovic,

lay out the UVs (or UVWs in some software packages) correctly and you should get rid of this problem. Unwrapping the 3D object onto a 2D texture plane is basically the task you need to do.
If you don't know what UVs are and how to lay them out in your 3D Application, you should dig deeper into that topic and learn. I am sure there is a lot of good stuff out there you can learn from :)
Knowing these basics is essential to learn a texturing package like Substance.

Best Regards
Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:08:43 pm
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hey Fabian thanks for the help. It worked out great. I used the uv editing in bodypaint and recalculated the uv map, after which everything displayed correctly