Author Topic: curvature map problem > shows mesh of model  (Read 3182 times)

hello,

i just started with substance painter and have a strange problem.

when i bake a curvature map i get this mesh pattern. somehow they don't even match with the actual mesh of the lowpoly model. the normal map looks totally fine. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can you share your mesh on your normal map ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

sure, do you mean with a screenshot or do you need the actual mesh?

Sorry, I meant the mesh file and its normal map file.

Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

here we go. thank you for looking into this.

I have looked into your files. The curvature itself is fine, the problem is inside the normal map itself. If you look carefully you can see the line that appears on the curvature map.

What software did you use to bake the normal map ?
-----------

i baked it in substance painter. i also checked if the highpoly has the same grid but it has not.

Do you think you could send me the high-poly mesh too ?
-----------

i sent you a pm with a downloadlink.

I was able to look into your meshes. I did some bake myself to reproduce the issue.

After a lot of tests my conclusion is that there is an issue somewhere either in your low-poly mesh or in your high-poly mesh. I wasn't able to find the exact source of the problem. However I was able to reproduce the same issue when baking in xNormal. The artifacts (see attached image) that I have appear in the normal map (it's very subtle) even when baking in xNormal. That's why I think the issue is from the meshes themselves. Note that your mesh is split at UV borders, if you don't use a cage you should smooth all your vertex normals before baking. Also triangulate your low-poly mesh before baking.

I would suggest baking the curvature in xNormal since it bakes it form the high-poly mesh. Hopefully this will reduce the artifacts. Other than that, I'm afraid I don't have a solution.

Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:32:53 pm
-----------