Author Topic: OpenGL related crashes on AO baking  (Read 9536 times)

Sorry, what's Mesh Baker?

We have access to the high res mesh if needs be. I don't have them now as they're only stored in zbrush format right now, but I can get them as needed. I've already got normal maps and low res meshes. I'm still working out the best workflow for this, so I'm open to options.

I'll try the normal to AO node.

Thanks

Sorry, what's Mesh Baker?

We have access to the high res mesh if needs be. I don't have them now as they're only stored in zbrush format right now, but I can get them as needed. I've already got normal maps and low res meshes. I'm still working out the best workflow for this, so I'm open to options.

I'll try the normal to AO node.

Thanks

If you have the normal map, I would use the AO node. It's very fast and if you add details to the normal map, you can easily add them back to the AO without having to bake. I use it often.

I use the ambient occlusion from mesh if I have the high res mesh. It's in the baker list. You bake AO from the high to low poly.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Ah I don't think that option is in version 3. I'm baking from a world space normal map right now. It's not looking much like AO right now, but since I keep crashing Designer, I've not tried the settings out much yet.

I've had a go with the normal to ao workflow. Yes that might work for what I need. To start with it didn't look anything like AO, but with some serious slider tweaking (AO spread down to 0 and X up to near 1) I'm getting something out of it.

I'd still like to get AO baking working. I feel I can get a lot out of it for what I'm doing. I can bake it elsewhere if I need to. It's just a pity Designer is crashing.

Thanks for the help.

Ah I don't think that option is in version 3. I'm baking from a world space normal map right now. It's not looking much like AO right now, but since I keep crashing Designer, I've not tried the settings out much yet.

I've had a go with the normal to ao workflow. Yes that might work for what I need. To start with it didn't look anything like AO, but with some serious slider tweaking (AO spread down to 0 and X up to near 1) I'm getting something out of it.

I'd still like to get AO baking working. I feel I can get a lot out of it for what I'm doing. I can bake it elsewhere if I need to. It's just a pity Designer is crashing.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Robin,

If you can, please try the trial for Substance Designer 4. There have been many improvements to baking and this could solve your issue.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes,

I can't right now, my trial has timed out. I've put a request in for an upgrade to v 4.4 so hopefully I'll be able to try that soon.

Having talked it over at work, for our needs I think we'll probably use xNormal for baking as we need a lot of scenes to have matching settings and that's easy to batch.

Thanks for the help.

Hi!
If somebody is still overseeing this issue:
On the latest substance update (5.2.1) this issue is still happening.
I'm on a MacBook Pro mid 2014 GTX 750m 2GB.

Going to try the window registry change.
Technical/VFX Artist

Hi Wes,

I can't right now, my trial has timed out. I've put a request in for an upgrade to v 4.4 so hopefully I'll be able to try that soon.

Having talked it over at work, for our needs I think we'll probably use xNormal for baking as we need a lot of scenes to have matching settings and that's easy to batch.

Thanks for the help.

Hey Robin,

No problem : ) Just for reference, you can use our batch tools (command line) to script batch baking processes.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com