Author Topic: export options a bit limiting to say the least  (Read 1382 times)

Hi,
Upon getting my top I'm working (piece of clothing for a figure) I go to export and there is no option, apparently, to export the top as a whole map, just the bits and pieces from the material UV zones.  I ended up with over 100 maps when I allowed it to export the height, spec and all the other maps.  It's like a jig saw puzzle and not one I'm willing to try to figure out.  If this is 3D painting I'll stick with Photoshop.  This is just too crazy for me!  YIKES!   :o
Got suggestions, please let me know... thanks
---Wolff On The Prowl---

100 maps?  I would be very curious to see what your export preset looks like.  The PBR exporters usually only export Color, normal, roughness, and metallic.  Do you have 25 different materials on your object?  If you want, you can send me your .spp file and I can take a look, but it sounds like something is a miss.

Send me a pm if you like.

-G

Hey ramarts,

it sounds like you have a lots of Texture Sets, right?
A better solution than using too many texture sets would be to utilise a Material ID Map. It lets you mask the object easily and you'll have a lot less texture sets to deal with.
Substance Painter can't combine texture sets during export right now, unfortunately.

A Texture Set in Substance Painter is defined by the materials assigned to the object.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Glad you asked... here are the maps in the trash can... The settings were at the default.  Second time I tried I turned most of them off to see what I got and still the top's maps were all exported in FILLED maps so couldn't even imagine trying to figure out what went where.  It's just became too much of a puzzle.  You really need to implement a combined map export, the top is just that, a sports fitness top for a figure, it's got 8 material zones to make for easy texturing for those that want to do their own things with it after it's released.  I don't know enough about this program to make masks to work off to import it as one flat UV so it worked off of the info that was in the obj and what you see below is the result of the first export of all the maps excluding the ones for the last two export options.... can't remember what those are called...

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Thanks for the replay Fabian... yea, well I think the program needs some more maturity then.  It's a brilliant program if you have a tech savvy mind.  I don't.  I'm an artist first and foremost.  So learning to work with masks and all that to compensate for what the program can't do just yet is what drives me back to tried and true PS.   ;)
---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hey ramarts,

when you are aware of those small 'issues' and know how the program works, it can be much more intuitive and faster than Photoshop. It's not easy to switch, though ;)

What I would do now with this project:
1. Safe you Substance Painter Project (and don't touch it anymore)
2. Clean up your mesh and safe it as a second one in you 3D application (so you'll still get access to the one used in your first Painter project)

Cleaning up the mesh means: Attach just one Material, maybe two. Each Material will create a new Texture Set in SUbstance Painter and you want to get rid of them, because you don't want to end up like now.
A third mesh could be really useful but is not required for the next task

3. Create a ID Map

You have multiple options to author an ID Map. But first things first:
ID maps are colour maps which can be used to mask the object based on the colours.
One option to create an ID map is to paint colours in zBrush for instance. You can then Bake an ID map in Substance Painter or Designer based on the colours painted in zBrush.
The second option is to create a new material (with a colour) for each ID colour you want. Maybe you'll need to duplicate your mesh and use this third mesh just for baking the ID map.

The ID map now makes it quite simple for you to mask the object. But you'll need to keep in mind (and that's why I've told you to safe your first painter project):
If you change the Texture Sets (the attached material on an object) all your painted information will be lost. You'll need to start from scratch, again.

Hope that helps you a bit more. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter