Author Topic: workflow (maxwell)  (Read 2110 times)

Hej Hej,

does anyone have experience with Substance and Maxwell ?
which maps should be used in which channels ?

Reflection 0   - base color
roughness     - roughness
?                   - metallic
bump            - normal / height map
?                   - AO

i would really appreciate some suggestions :P

Hi there,
Wondering exactly the same... It would be good to have some guidance on SP to use with Maxwell Render.

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I'm not super familiar with Maxwell. I will do my best to help : )

I think the issue with Maxwell is that you will not be able to use the metallic map. It looks like Maxwell is similar to mental ray MIA shaders where you can't represent both dielectric and metal in the same material. In this circumstance, you would need a layered shader where the metallic map could act as the mask. I think you might bet better results export the specular/glossiness maps. Or it might be better to setup a custom export that uses the specular map and roughness channel. I think Maxwell uses roughness where 1.0 (white) is rough. 

Maxwell is unbiased render so its more complex setup than the PBR shaders designed for real-time use. I think you can set the specular map at Reflectance 0 as this is the base reflectivity as the Fresnel 0 degree (F0). For Reflectance at 90, leave it set to full white. The Bump would be normal. I'm not sure about AO. I don't see an AO input channel. Are there any other material properties? Are there options for layered materials?

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes!

I'm really trying to make substance work with Maxwell render, however, I'm having a bit of a difficult time doing it.  Plugging the Spec map into ref 0 does not work.  Maybe you meant ref 90? Some of that seems to be because I need to gamma correct the maps (greyscale) and I can't really do that in Maxwell (basing this off some work I've seen done in Arnold).  Additionally, it seems best to create layered materials.  I'm really hoping someone there might be able to experiment a bit with Maxwell, or guide me through that process, so that I can see if it's possible to use SP effectively with Maxwell. 

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I'm not super familiar with Maxwell. I will do my best to help : )

I think the issue with Maxwell is that you will not be able to use the metallic map. It looks like Maxwell is similar to mental ray MIA shaders where you can't represent both dielectric and metal in the same material. In this circumstance, you would need a layered shader where the metallic map could act as the mask. I think you might bet better results export the specular/glossiness maps. Or it might be better to setup a custom export that uses the specular map and roughness channel. I think Maxwell uses roughness where 1.0 (white) is rough. 

Maxwell is unbiased render so its more complex setup than the PBR shaders designed for real-time use. I think you can set the specular map at Reflectance 0 as this is the base reflectivity as the Fresnel 0 degree (F0). For Reflectance at 90, leave it set to full white. The Bump would be normal. I'm not sure about AO. I don't see an AO input channel. Are there any other material properties? Are there options for layered materials?

Cheers,
Wes