Author Topic: Substance Painter Texturing for Beginners  (Read 221563 times)

Hi guys, Wes thank you so much for tutorials, they are the best.
For some reason couldn't find an answer to this: i made a project in painter with specular/gloss pbr mode. Is it possible to change it to rough/metal? Or should I export the textures (diffuse-gloss-specular) and then do it with a node in designer?

Hi guys, Wes thank you so much for tutorials, they are the best.
For some reason couldn't find an answer to this: i made a project in painter with specular/gloss pbr mode. Is it possible to change it to rough/metal? Or should I export the textures (diffuse-gloss-specular) and then do it with a node in designer?

Hi,

Thanks very much : )

Unfortunately, we don't have a way to convert SG to MR modes in Painter. The node in Designer is also only for converting MR to SG. I am checking with the devs and I do think we have a new node that will convert SG to MR but we haven't shipped it yet. Unfortunately, I don't have a good solution for you now, but I think we are working on the solution.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

So glad to hear you liked the training : ) Thanks!

I took at look at the files and I was able to get a baked normal map that looked pretty good by default. The one thing that I changed was to set the low poly to use a single smoothing group with all soft edges.

I attached 2 images which shows some tips for the normal map. For the hole details, I think the beveled edge is too sharp and it extrudes straight back. I think this makes it hard to get nice detail here. The texel density could be a little low in this area as well. However, for details like this, I would recommend just painting them in Painter. It's much easier to get a clean result and you don't have to spend time modeling the detail.

In the second image, I showed how I painted the old normal detail out and then used a normal map to paint new details in. The quality is much better and it was super fast : ) That is what I usually do for details like this. I just create them directly in Painter instead of modeling it.

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes,

Thanks for your detailed response!

I've made it! :)
I think the problem was because of incorrect export settings (smoothing groups), I've reexported .fbx files again and this time I've used Modo.

Can you check whether I've made everything correctly plz?
And is ‘Save mesh smoothness’ in Modo is the same as ‘Tangents and Binormals’ in Maya?

Hi,

So glad to hear you liked the training : ) Thanks!

I took at look at the files and I was able to get a baked normal map that looked pretty good by default. The one thing that I changed was to set the low poly to use a single smoothing group with all soft edges.

I attached 2 images which shows some tips for the normal map. For the hole details, I think the beveled edge is too sharp and it extrudes straight back. I think this makes it hard to get nice detail here. The texel density could be a little low in this area as well. However, for details like this, I would recommend just painting them in Painter. It's much easier to get a clean result and you don't have to spend time modeling the detail.

In the second image, I showed how I painted the old normal detail out and then used a normal map to paint new details in. The quality is much better and it was super fast : ) That is what I usually do for details like this. I just create them directly in Painter instead of modeling it.

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes,

Thanks for your detailed response!

I've made it! :)
I think the problem was because of incorrect export settings (smoothing groups), I've reexported .fbx files again and this time I've used Modo.

Can you check whether I've made everything correctly plz?
And is ‘Save mesh smoothness’ in Modo is the same as ‘Tangents and Binormals’ in Maya?

Hi,

Excellent result! Glad you have it working : )

So a couple of things to consider. You are using a single smoothing group which is ok to do. I typically do that. However, this only works if the baker and renderer are using the same tangent basis. In Painter, we use Mikkt tangent space. This is the same as Unity (updated since the video tutorial)  and UE4. This means you can bake in Painter and the same tangent is used in the rendering.

With this in mind, you should NOT use the save tangent basis on export from modo. This will cause Painter to not use MikkT for the bakes. If MODO exports with a different tangent, then you will get a mismatch which could show as errors in the normal. 

MODO 10 now support MikkT,  so in the Game Tools you can create a vertex map to set MikkT. Then using Save Tangent would be fine. However, you don't need to do this. Just make sure the Save Tangent is OFF. You want Painter and UE4 or Unity to compute the tangent since they are all using Mikkt anyways.

In MODO, you don't need the step of setting the vertex normal.  Using Save Smoothing Groups will take care of it. I attached an image of the settings I use for Painter.

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi,

So a couple of things to consider. You are using a single smoothing group which is ok to do. I typically do that. However, this only works if the baker and renderer are using the same tangent basis. In Painter, we use Mikkt tangent space. This is the same as Unity (updated since the video tutorial)  and UE4. This means you can bake in Painter and the same tangent is used in the rendering.

With this in mind, you should NOT use the save tangent basis on export from modo. This will cause Painter to not use MikkT for the bakes. If MODO exports with a different tangent, then you will get a mismatch which could show as errors in the normal. 

MODO 10 now support MikkT,  so in the Game Tools you can create a vertex map to set MikkT. Then using Save Tangent would be fine. However, you don't need to do this. Just make sure the Save Tangent is OFF. You want Painter and UE4 or Unity to compute the tangent since they are all using Mikkt anyways.

In MODO, you don't need the step of setting the vertex normal.  Using Save Smoothing Groups will take care of it. I attached an image of the settings I use for Painter.

Cheers,

Wes

Hi,

Thx once again for your support Wes!

Sorry for disturbing you but I have last few questions:) It's about setting the vertex normal (you've said that I don't need the step of setting the vertex normal, but it doesn't work) and the materials ID in MODO
Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:06:27 pm

Hey,

Just wanted to say that the tutorials have been great so far and easy to follow; I appreciate how explain each tool thoroughly and then go on to show practical examples.

Thanks, they've been really helpful.
Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:11:28 pm

I really like how you brake down the tutorials in these videos!

However, the source reference pack ( scifi_crate ) I download ( that has the mesh and textures ) only has a rust texture. that's it. Nothing else.
So when following with the video, I cant import the normal map as in the video it saying too.
Help!

Hi Wes,

This is Sean Spitzer from Sportvision. We met at Unite waiting in line for the Universal Unite Party. Is there a way to make a normal map based on what you textured? I might have missed that in this vid. I just want use my painted texture and convert it to a Normal map. Basically baking from my 2D work.

Let me know

Sean

Hi Wes,

This is Sean Spitzer from Sportvision. We met at Unite waiting in line for the Universal Unite Party. Is there a way to make a normal map based on what you textured? I might have missed that in this vid. I just want use my painted texture and convert it to a Normal map. Basically baking from my 2D work.

Let me know

Sean

Hi Sean,

You can paint the details on the height or normal channel and just export the normal map from the export configuration. To make it easy, you can create a custom export option to just export the normal map. In the converted map section, you can choose between DX or OGL orientation.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I really like how you brake down the tutorials in these videos!

However, the source reference pack ( scifi_crate ) I download ( that has the mesh and textures ) only has a rust texture. that's it. Nothing else.
So when following with the video, I cant import the normal map as in the video it saying too.
Help!

I'm very sorry for this issue. Which video did you watch that mentions the normal map import. I think I just imported them for a quick start. The videos first showcase the baking and then you paint the height details.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hey,

Just wanted to say that the tutorials have been great so far and easy to follow; I appreciate how explain each tool thoroughly and then go on to show practical examples.

Thanks, they've been really helpful.

Thanks very much! I really appreciate it : )

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi,

Cheers,

Wes

Hi,

Thx once again for your support Wes!

Sorry for disturbing you but I have last few questions:) It's about setting the vertex normal (you've said that I don't need the step of setting the vertex normal, but it doesn't work) and the materials ID in MODO

Hi,

Can you post the modo mesh? I haven't had that issue before. I can take a look at the modo scene.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Heya! Thank you alot for great tutorials!

But I'm wondering if there is a updated version of that tutorial to match more recent Painter verions? Interface is changed and sometime it can be a little confusing.

Heya! Thank you alot for great tutorials!

But I'm wondering if there is a updated version of that tutorial to match more recent Painter verions? Interface is changed and sometime it can be a little confusing.

Hi,

Yes I will be working on a new course. I will try to get this done ASAP. In the meantime, please take a look at this playlist for the updated features.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCzkaCwt_dE6YS8ifttRTqNS

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi,

Yes I will be working on a new course. I will try to get this done ASAP. In the meantime, please take a look at this playlist for the updated features.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCzkaCwt_dE6YS8ifttRTqNS

Cheers,
Wes

Awesome :)

You´re the man, Wes!