Author Topic: Substance Painter Texturing for Beginners  (Read 142175 times)

Just curious, at 6:25 or so in the video:

...You assign a procedural noise to the roughness channel of a material; following along I added "Dirt 3" and immediately decided I didn't like that and wanted to change it. The only way I could see to do that was to hit the X and start that step over. Is that really the only option?

Thanks!

Hi,

You can just click the button again (the texture)  and the mini shelf will appear where you can choose a new texture. You don't have to hit the x button to clear and start over.

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Where can I find the project files? I've searched for them but it just keeps taking me to forums an the videos. Thanks for the help.

Hi Wes.
First off, cheers for the vids, awesome work. Easy to follow, with good explanations for all the complex stuff.
I have a bit of an idiot question.
How do i separate the meshes for baking inside of Maya, i.e you have the Crate_top_connectors_low, and one for the handles etc.
How are you doing this in Maya? Are they layers or have you created a new object by separating them or is it just a renaming of a part of the mesh you have selected. Can you give me an explanation for exactly how you are doing this and assume my IQ is 9.
Thanks

Hi Wes.
First off, cheers for the vids, awesome work. Easy to follow, with good explanations for all the complex stuff.
I have a bit of an idiot question.
How do i separate the meshes for baking inside of Maya, i.e you have the Crate_top_connectors_low, and one for the handles etc.
How are you doing this in Maya? Are they layers or have you created a new object by separating them or is it just a renaming of a part of the mesh you have selected. Can you give me an explanation for exactly how you are doing this and assume my IQ is 9.
Thanks

Hi,

Thanks very much! So glad you liked the video.

In Maya I am just using new polygon mesh objects. You can also select faces and then use Extract to extract the faces to a new polygon mesh object. This is the same as when you create a cube and then draw another primitive. These meshes are separate objects. I am not using layers to do this. You can then take the mesh objects and place them into layers for organization, but the layers are separate from mesh objects.

Cheers,
wes

Hello! I love your stuff! However, I have no prior experience even though I'm an above average learner. Still, I had to get to video 17 before I got to exporting. Which basically means I get to see how my endeavors have panned out after only 9 hours of learning subtle details. It would be nice if you had some beginner videos that were actually beginner. I know most people doing this stuff has been knee deep for years, but I didn't even know there was such a thing as PBR in Unity until a couple days ago, so I bought your stuff and started learning and realized this is an environment with old timers in it! (Even though it's probably only a few years old!) Anyhow, any chance we could get some barbaric videos chronicling the idea behind how even the most basic stuff works? For instance, show a component used in Unity from Maya/Blender going all the way to use in an application. That way the workflow is described entirely. Any additional details would be considered extras. Just a thought. I was still able to learn them. But I still don't know how to import my blender objects into Unity with the materials.

Hello! I love your stuff! However, I have no prior experience even though I'm an above average learner. Still, I had to get to video 17 before I got to exporting. Which basically means I get to see how my endeavors have panned out after only 9 hours of learning subtle details. It would be nice if you had some beginner videos that were actually beginner. I know most people doing this stuff has been knee deep for years, but I didn't even know there was such a thing as PBR in Unity until a couple days ago, so I bought your stuff and started learning and realized this is an environment with old timers in it! (Even though it's probably only a few years old!) Anyhow, any chance we could get some barbaric videos chronicling the idea behind how even the most basic stuff works? For instance, show a component used in Unity from Maya/Blender going all the way to use in an application. That way the workflow is described entirely. Any additional details would be considered extras. Just a thought. I was still able to learn them. But I still don't know how to import my blender objects into Unity with the materials.

HI,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it : ) It's very helpful. I am working on a new course for Painter that will launch this summer. Before that, I will have a new video that is 5-10 that is like a quickstart to texture in Painter. It will cover all of the workflow with the complete new user as the focus. Your comments are very helpful for the design of the videos.

Thanks!

Wes

Hi there,

I am new to learn Substance Painter and now I am studying with this decent tutorials.
But suddenly I realized that I need materials for practice with tutorials.
I tried to download project files on this post, but there's no mesh files for the tutorial of "Substance Painter Tutorial – Fundamentals 02: Importing meshes" or I cannot find very well?

Is there any way that I can download tutorial assets at least I can follow such as "scifi_container_UVChange_low.fbx"

Cheers,
Justin

Oh I read all comments and found it by myself!

https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/102

Hope these are all I need!

Hi there,

I am new to learn Substance Painter and now I am studying with this decent tutorials.
But suddenly I realized that I need materials for practice with tutorials.
I tried to download project files on this post, but there's no mesh files for the tutorial of "Substance Painter Tutorial – Fundamentals 02: Importing meshes" or I cannot find very well?

Is there any way that I can download tutorial assets at least I can follow such as "scifi_container_UVChange_low.fbx"

Cheers,
Justin

please help me i am in trouble and i really don't understand it
so i made a video of my problem please help me

video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiItrRPb7p8

Hi there,

I'm having trouble with baking textures.

Left one is my low poly model's wireframe and the right one is my high poly model's.
I made a model with Maya and I did Mesh>Smooth (2 Division levels) to low poly to create high poly.

When I try to bake textures with both models by following these tutorials, it shows weird lines and edge shapes that I didn't want.

As the tutorials, I tried to adjust the values of Max Frontal/Rear Distance. But the results is still same.

Does anyone know to solve this problem?

Cheers,
Justin

Hi there,

Left one is my low poly model's wireframe and the right one is my high poly model's.
I made a model with Maya and I did Mesh>Smooth (2 Division levels) to low poly to create high poly.

When I try to bake textures with both models by following these tutorials, it shows weird lines and edge shapes that I didn't want.

As the tutorials, I tried to adjust the values of Max Frontal/Rear Distance. But the results is still same.

Cheers,
Justin

Hey Justin,

This could be an issue with the UVs. Can you post an image of the UVs for this same section of polygons?

Cheers,
Wes

I had the exact same questions as Spencer, so thanks for the explanations. I will download the project files from the new link.  The tutorial series is definitely appreciated, and I do understand the difficulty of keeping the tutorial series in sync with ever changing new versions.  Thanks for your patience with us new users!

Hi there,

Cheers,
Justin

Hey Justin,

This could be an issue with the UVs. Can you post an image of the UVs for this same section of polygons?

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes,

Thank you for your answer.
I attached UVs for both low and high objects.

Cheers,
Justin

Hi there,

Cheers,
Justin

Hey Justin,

Cheers,
Wes

Hi Wes,

Thank you for your answer.
I attached UVs for both low and high objects.

Cheers,
Justin

HI Justin,

The UVs look fine. I'm sorry, but I'm sure what is causing that issue. Can you send me the low and high meshes and I will investigate.

Cheers,
wes

Hi Wes, First i would like to thank you for the great tutorials, very helpful.

I am new at SP started few days ago and i am following your scifi crate project tutorial, i reached the video where we need to bake the texture maps after painting the height details and exporting new normal map. Now the problem i ran is that AO map is not showing the height details, i went through the steps a couple of times, and as far as i can see i have done all the steps in the tutorial.

Any idea what might be causing this issue?

EDIT:
Never mind i found what was the issue, i forgot to remove the high mesh from the baker common settings, that is why it was not showing the height details on the ao.
Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 04:39:21 pm