Author Topic: Multiple texture sets - exporting from blender  (Read 8417 times)

Hey everyone!
I made a little object in blender which i want to use in unreal engine 4. The object i made is made out of multiple meshes. I unwrapped all objects and exported the scene as .obj. But when i import the mesh in substance painter all objects are unwrapped on a single uv layer which means they're overlapping. I saw a video where a guy importet a .obj scene from fuse and got multiple texture sets so he can switch between them (here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy6cAYVm3p8 )

my question is: is it possible to expoprt a model from blender so i can get multiple texture sets?

hope someone knows an answer
lg

Hey grimzug,

texture sets are defined by the material applied to the object. If you apply different material for the parts you want to get split it should work.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hi, I'm trying to export from Blender to SP. My object has 4 different materials applied but once in Painter it only shows a single texture set. I also tried separating the mesh by material and exporting again but without any luck, what am I missing?

Thank you

SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND AM DESPERATE FOR A SOLUTION!

SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND AM DESPERATE FOR A SOLUTION!

As long as you have different materials set up when you export the FBX file you'll have different texture sets when using the mesh in Painter.

I attached an example for you. What I did for this is I made a plane, then subdivided it so it has 4 faces. Then I created 4 materials with different colors (just as an indicator), then you click the mesh, Edit, and FACE SELECT, then assign each face to its own material. Once you use the mesh in Painter, you'll see 4 texture sets. See 1.fbx.

The same principle applies to your own models.

You can also have different parts and as long as they have a different material ID, it will show a separate texture set. In my 2.fbx example, I made two objects, applied materials, then joined them and exported to Painter. Now I have 5 texture sets (4 for the plane with a modification, and 1 for the floating face).

If you need more help, let me know. Just load the FBX files in Blender as I made them in there, and you'll see how it's setup. :)
Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:05:13 am

If the objects are using the same material names, the best option is to join them all together in Blender as one object. Unwrap everything so you ensure there are no overlaps, then split th eobjects into separate items. That way, you retain your objects and materials, but they share a common UV map. If you want separate UV maps per object, the simple answer is to create individual versions of the material. So click on the '+' to isolate the material for the object, rename it like "materialname_object", that way each object has their own set of shaders. Depends which workflow route you want to take.

So I have been running in to the same issue for a couple of days now and I just stumbled on this thread. So the sample FBX files that CAGameDEV provided does not provided separate texture sets in to Painter for me. I'm running v2018.3.1

So I have been running in to the same issue for a couple of days now and I just stumbled on this thread. So the sample FBX files that CAGameDEV provided does not provided separate texture sets in to Painter for me. I'm running v2018.3.1

There must be something you're doing on your end. I'll show you the steps to get the model to load properly:

1. Load up Substance Painter, click new project and have something like below:

DO NOT SELECT UDIMs...

When you load up, you'll see the texture sets:

The reason why it's not working for you is because you're doing it wrong. You're selecting UDIMs.

Which gives you that one set:

Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:30:42 am

Hi, I'm trying to export from Blender to SP. My object has 4 different materials applied but once in Painter it only shows a single texture set. I also tried separating the mesh by material and exporting again but without any luck, what am I missing?

Thank you

CAGameDev is correct. Selecting UDIM is your problem. Read the posts/replies above more carefully and you will find the solution to your problems.