Author Topic: Weathered Leather  (Read 7951 times)

How to setup the nodes to make weathered leather, please.

Hi,

Can you be more specific please?
What do you want to know about the Weathered Leather .sbs of the library?

Cheers,
Director of Product Management & COO

how to set up

The Weathered leather is a Mesh Adaptive filter, meaning it creates a a texture from the mesh data.
You first need to import a mesh you want to texture in the package explorer, extract its maps (right-click on the mesh in the package then Bake Model Information), and then plug them in the inputs of the filter: diffuse, AO, normal map, etc.

I will try to make an example in the next days.
Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:26:15 am

If you can do that for me it will be greatly appreciated. :)

I looked at the node though i dont understand how to set it up.
There are 7 inputs,
AO,Normal world space, specular, curvature, normal high poly, diffuse and height.
I was thinking to do this with a bitmap of leather i have, and to finish making it look like weathered leather.
As i understand now from your last post i have to bake the model(mesh) to give the desired effect.

I was thinking to do this with a bitmap of leather i have, and to finish making it look like weathered leather.
As i understand now from your last post i have to bake the model(mesh) to give the desired effect.

Yes that's right, this filter works only to texture a mesh. If you want to simply alter an existing leather, I would suggest to do it directly with nodes in the graph.
We are however working on some other automatic filters (scratches, etc.) for the future versions.

Hi,
Which nodes do you suggest i use to have the same results as the weathered leather?

I guess Levels and Blend nodes will be in there, plus a few other nodes.
There is not only one specific way and you should try out stuff. If you really want to become a 3D artist, you cant rely on people leading you the way all the time.
Eyperiment with SD. Load up your image, blend over some noise, some color variations, detect the edges and warp them with a small noise, whatever looks best.
Nicolas has probably better things to do than making a step by step tutorial especially for you. How about you start making experiments and post them here. Then we can discuss all together which lookks good and which one doesnt.
But not doing anything and crying for help... dunno, isnt that a bit lazy?

I have tried so many ways. I dont need a step by step. Only need one sample of the setup.

Here is a pic of what i would like to achieve.

This is as far as i can get, lol not much luck. Any suggestions would be great.

Here you see the model though when i apply texture to 3d models doesnt look great.

You can add more than one attachment to a post and also please provide pics that actually show something. This is only some pixels i cant see anything on.
Seems really lazy, if one does stuff like this.
Also try to cut your white borders next time, looks more "professional".

I really dont know what to say honestly. What is this? Why do you have such black triangles in your texture? Whats up with the (i guess) world space normal map, you put into a greyscale image and plugged into a color input, thus adding a gradient over it. This is no valid input. Yes, the node cmoputes something, but its plain wrong, as your input does not make any sense at all.

Do you even know which values do what? I'm afraid, that an almost white spec will not help in creating leather.

It looks like your uv layout is not correct. For the filter to work you need to have unique UVs for your mesh, here your UVs overlap.

Hi Jeremie,
Is it possible to make the map for the uv layout within substance design from my model? If it can be done, can you please tell me or advise which tututorial to learn how to make the correct map.

Thanks
George

You can't create your uv layout in Designer, it is usually done before, in the same software in which the model is created (3ds Max, Maya, Modo...).