Author Topic: Internal defects / cracks  (Read 2365 times)

Hello, I cannot seem to find any posts about this specific effect.
I am not sure if modeling or texturing or a combo of both is the best way to achieve an effect, and what to do for the methods.
I have an idea on the modeling method, but this would be very rendering heavy, so any advise would be great.

I am wanting to take transparent or semi transparent solid materials that have thickness of x amount.  And have the inner volume show pockets of defects like air bubbles or cracks / crevis.
I would like it to not steam from the outside surface and be fully floating inside the object.
So this is an example that is somewhat like I am describing, except, I would like the outer shell to not be scratched so when you orbit the crystal you see it is inise.

I guess this would be a good sample to.
Like how the laser inner volume engraving looks.

Thank you.

Hello, I cannot seem to find any posts about this specific effect.
I am not sure if modeling or texturing or a combo of both is the best way to achieve an effect, and what to do for the methods.
I have an idea on the modeling method, but this would be very rendering heavy, so any advise would be great.

I am wanting to take transparent or semi transparent solid materials that have thickness of x amount.  And have the inner volume show pockets of defects like air bubbles or cracks / crevis.
I would like it to not steam from the outside surface and be fully floating inside the object.
So this is an example that is somewhat like I am describing, except, I would like the outer shell to not be scratched so when you orbit the crystal you see it is inise.

I guess this would be a good sample to.
Like how the laser inner volume engraving looks.

Thank you.

HI,

This could be a complex solution depending on the route you take. Yoy could just use a texture to create the crack effect. I am thinking about creating the crack in the roughness although, this would not be in the internal surface. If you wanted to have a different smoothness depending on the angle, this would be better controlled in the shader. You could also create this as a compound mesh with an inner surface that has a different texture.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja