Author Topic: [SOLVED] Memory Leak?  (Read 2152 times)

Not sure if this is an OS X or Painter issue but I figured I'd post in case others were experiencing the same issue.

I was in my happy place just painting away with SP 1.4.1.761 when my Mac came to a crawl. I noticed the ram was completely full. Interesting as I have 64GB's of it. Painter was using over 45GB's of ram. Yikes.

Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:56:23 am

How heavy is your Substance Painter project ?
How many texture set do you have ?

I have honestly never reached more than 4/5 GB or Ram.
Maybe its a leak, but I will need more information.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

It seems SP usually uses about 5-6GB of ram when working on this project. That project has about 6 or 7 texture sets with 4 or 5 2K maps each.

We have identified a possible memory leak (see https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=5821.msg28222#new ). Since you have a log ram I guess you were able to open your project and paint of it.

If you save your project (under a new name, just to be safe) and re-open it after closing painter, does Painter eat again a lot of ram ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I'm working on the same project file now and haven't experienced the issue again. As suggested I'll back up the file.

I have activity monitor open and am keeping an eye on the ram usage as I work. ;)

I'll let you know if it happens again.

We identified the "leak" : one of our internal update system is consuming a lot of ram in certain situations, but once the process is done, you will never get the update again (if you saved the project). So you are all good now :)
-----------

Thanks a lot