Author Topic: Layer Sharing and Generator Use  (Read 1305 times)

If I have a common base color for multiple texture sets, do I need to copy and paste a single layer from one set to another or is there a way to share a layer between texture sets and just maintain that single layer for an entire mesh?

Also, it seems that for most of the generators one must use a pre baked AO map for them work correctly. Safe to say thats the case for all of the generators?

If I have a common base color for multiple texture sets, do I need to copy and paste a single layer from one set to another or is there a way to share a layer between texture sets and just maintain that single layer for an entire mesh?
You will have to copy the layers. Each texture set is independent.
Also, it seems that for most of the generators one must use a pre baked AO map for them work correctly. Safe to say thats the case for all of the generators?
It depends of the generator itself. Some could only use the curvature and the word space normal map for example. Most of the time it will be more convenient to bake all the textures you need, this way you will not have to worry about that.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

You could create a Smart Material from the layers you wanted to share. Then it would be as easy as just dragging your smart material into the new layer stack.

You could create a Smart Material from the layers you wanted to share. Then it would be as easy as just dragging your smart material into the new layer stack.

I like that. But can you then update the smart material and have it update all the texture sets?

It doesn't work that way the Smart material isn't linked its just a layer set that contains layers.