Author Topic: Not quite there but almost...  (Read 1620 times)

..for my needs.

I purchased Painter 1.0.2 for Mac and found it VERY buggy so I put it aside and went to MARI for a bit. I fell in love with Mari but found its performance lacking on Mac and thus decided to try Painter again. This time I tried 1.4 hoping the bugs were addressed and fortunately many where.

I've spent the majority of this weekend learning it and watched the DT tutorial on the intro to SP and found it fairly simple to grasp and use. But I came across some minor issues that weren't deal breakers, that is until painting artifacts came to light. I've attached a screenshot of what I'm talking about. For now, I'll have to go back to Mari and wait until a later version of Painter is released.

But I must say, it's a solid application and with a few more adjustments, for the Mac at least, it would be a fantastic application to paint my models. Kudos to the developers for listening to the community and building something artist friendly and not so technically demanding. ;)

Mac Pro
12 Core CPU
64 GB's Ram
Dual D700

Hey jdouglas,

there are, unfortunately, a few bugs regarding 'wrong' GPUs creating artefacts. I'm not a technician so I can't provide exact solutions, sorry.
You should disable the second GPU, though, because dual GPU usage isn't supported, as far as I know.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Interesting. So you think the second GPU may be causing the artifacts? I'll try it out. Do you know if SP will support dual GPU's in the future?

I hate that I spent a small fortune on this machine and find that so few applications take advantage of it, yet.  :-\

I'm not finding the option to modify the GPU usage within Painter and I don't believe it can be done within OS X.

Can you share your log file ? You can export it via the Help > Export Log menu.
You can force which GPU to use on Mac OS X, however it's global and via a special software (I don't remember its name unfortunately).
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

From your log file I see that you are using a FirePro, unfortunately that's a type of GPU that we don't support officially. While our software can run on them, we can't guarantee any stability of good performances. Most probably your issue here (rendering artifacts) is related to that.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Yeah, I'm not surprised to hear about that. Between SP, ZBrush, Maya and Mari, nobody seems to want to support the new Mac Pro.  :'(

So far I'm able to work around whatever issues I've come across. Of course that may change as I progress and get deeper into SP. But hopefully SP will soon provide better support of the D700. One can hope.  ::)

The support for those professional GPU is planned fortunately. :)
-----------

Awesome, thanks a lot.

I run SP all the time on the same machine except with only 32GB ram. No problems but I'm glad to hear A will be supporting FirePros directly. As for Mari, the Foundry had a Pixar artist demo it on the same machine you have. I run Modo, all the Substances, Vue, Houdini and Photoscan on my machine with only occassional glitches. It's taken all them a while to support OpenCL but a great deal of that blame goes straight to Apple.

I watched that same video and it was what finally convinced me to upgrade to the Pro to run Mari fluidly. I was on an iMac before and it had reached its performance peak with Mari so I needed to make the change in order to take advantage of Mari's potential. Unfortunately I was very disappointed in Mari's performance on this maxed out Mac Pro after shelling out thousands for it. This seems to be a common Mac problem The Foundry has.

I contacted the Pixar artist who gave the demo at the 2013 WWDC in the video as well as a couple of industry professionals for some advice on increasing Mari's performance but nobody really had any answers. Mari's poor performance is what brought me here to try out Painter. Painter runs much more smoothly but it even has some performance issues I wouldn't expect on this machine.

So the lesson is, before you invest in high end hardware, do your research and make sure that the software will fully support it. Right now, I don't think the professional software I use supports the dual D700's or 12 core CPU well. Which is a complete waste of so much power.

For your information : dual GPU setups are known to break performances and create problems in Substance Painter, even on supported hardware such nVidia GTX.
-----------