Author Topic: Atlas Maker - Making texture atlas in Designer  (Read 4165 times)

Hi,

I've been working on an Atlas Maker node for an upcoming tutorial and I wanted to share some of the progress. The node helps you to easily create texture atlases in Designer. I'll have a tutorial posted in the Learning Section early next week.

The node allows you to create tile sections from full materials using exact pixel values. You can offset the tile to exact pixels as well as make non-square tiles seamless. You adjust the tiling (scale) of the material as well as an underlying offset to the tile crop. There are also alignment features.   

In this gif, you can see a new material being added to the texture atlas. The geometry was measured and using a ratio of 1 unit - 256 pixels, I enter the exact pixel value for the texture. I can then position the tile to align to the brick tile as well as tile it and make it seamless on the horizontal axis. The node also outputs a mask of the tile you can use for material blending. The process of adding several tiles to build a full atlas is very quick and easy process. 

In this gif, you can see the alignment features to align an additional wood tile.

Look for the tutorial in the learning section next week : )

*high res gifs attached to this thread.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

this is looking very promising!

really cool can't wait :-)

Thanks guys!

I added a relative offset feature for when you are duplicating sections and a relative offset is all that is needed to place the new tile in place.

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

This looks awesome, I was thinking I need something like this for my currency project. It will be much faster to iterate as you won't have paste it all together in Photoshop. Can't wait to try this out.

I see you can rotate them, maybe you could add a flip button in there as well?

This looks awesome, I was thinking I need something like this for my currency project. It will be much faster to iterate as you won't have paste it all together in Photoshop. Can't wait to try this out.

I see you can rotate them, maybe you could add a flip button in there as well?

Thanks very much! That is a great idea. I will try to implement that before I release it.

Cheers,

wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

yes +1 for flip-button :)

This is really cool, when do you think it will be available for us to play with?

This is really cool, when do you think it will be available for us to play with?

Hi,

I just finished the tutorial. I will have it uploaded later today (6/26).

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi,

The texture atlas series is ready. You can find it here. https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=5840.0

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Very cool. Is there any way to add a custom mask input?