Author Topic: Workflow question - ID Maps  (Read 1624 times)

Sometimes when we paint ID maps the materials may be the same, but the base color is different. In this TLOU flamethrower, the black cables and bright-red handle of gas canister may be both considered dielectric, but their base color is different.

My workflow up till now had been to paint IDmaps in SP and then texture everything completely in SD. This is convenient because if IDmaps needed to be changed, I could go back to my SP file, re-export, and SD would replace the texture in the graph.

However, I cannot paint that many colors into my ID maps (right?).

How do you get around this problem in an organized fashion?

Hey justo_figueora,

I always create the IDs in Maya (or any other 3D modelling application you want to use) and bake the map in Substance Designer. I find that quite easy but the idea to use Substance Painter seems to be great, too. I'll try that some day ;)

You can introduce as many ID colours as you want, there is no limitation, actually. Introducing a new ID colour for just a colour change of the material seems to be inefficient, I think. You could mask out the cables to just get the red handle.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hi Fabian! Thanks for replying.

The problem with "painting" ID maps in Maya is that you're limited to painting only along faces (assuming you're speaking of coloring with materials and then baking material IDs in SD). Even an extruding cylinder may need some detailed painting so as to not appear jagged (like with 8 sides), I think.

Introducing a new ID colour for just a colour change of the material seems to be inefficient, I think. You could mask out the cables to just get the red handle.

That's what I've been doing up till now. How would you suggest I mask out different objects of the same material properties? Because my goal was to keep it all in SD, I've been using SVG nodes in SD to draw out some masks, though I wonder if there's a more efficient way performance-wise of doing this.

I'd also like to encourage other artists to share their workflow tips. The world needs you!