Author Topic: Color ID maps from Modo  (Read 8782 times)

I have a model in Modo with several material (polygon) sets I want to use as masks in SP. I'm stuck getting the texture map out of Modo for use as a Color ID map in SP though.  I'm assuming there's a way to paint the UVs with Material Sets in Modo but can't figure out how to do that and export the map. I've created an RCGA map which shows up in Lists. Can they be exported?
I can do it with Bake to Render but then the colors aren't uniform.
Seems like there should be a straightforward way to do this. Pointers much appreciated,
Kevin
I thought there was a thread or tutorial on this but can't find it now. ?

I have a model in Modo with several material (polygon) sets I want to use as masks in SP. I'm stuck getting the texture map out of Modo for use as a Color ID map in SP though.  I'm assuming there's a way to paint the UVs with Material Sets in Modo but can't figure out how to do that and export the map. I've created an RCGA map which shows up in Lists. Can they be exported?
I can do it with Bake to Render but then the colors aren't uniform.
Seems like there should be a straightforward way to do this. Pointers much appreciated,
Kevin
I thought there was a thread or tutorial on this but can't find it now. ?

HI Kevin,

All you need to do is assign materials to meshes or faces in modo. Just select the face or mesh and hit the M key to assign the material. Then in modo, you choose a color (set in the diffuse of the material) that represents that material. Now you export the FBX. Be sure that you have save materials enabled. In the screen shot, I show the settings I use.

In Painter, you then use the baker to bake the ID map.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,
OK, good, I'm not crazy. That's the workflow I was using but my ID map comes in as black after baking. I tried adding a vertex map in Modo which comes over but then you're back to painting textures and I'm trying to speed up the workflow with ColorID maps.
Also, the "all" button in the SP TextureSetList only works in the 3D viewport, not i the UV viewport. Is that normal?
I attached my Modo file if you have time. No worries if you don't, this is just testing for me.
Kevin
&- Thanks for the quick response (again). You do sleep right? :)

Solved.
In Modo, select the mesh with material groups and add a Surface ID render output (Shader Tree > Add Layer > Render Output > Geometry > Surface ID) then Bake to Render. In the Render pop-up window, change the Output to Surface ID and save the image.
Bring mesh into SP, import Surface ID image and you're good to go.
Thanks for the assist Wes,
Kevin

Solved.
In Modo, select the mesh with material groups and add a Surface ID render output (Shader Tree > Add Layer > Render Output > Geometry > Surface ID) then Bake to Render. In the Render pop-up window, change the Output to Surface ID and save the image.
Bring mesh into SP, import Surface ID image and you're good to go.
Thanks for the assist Wes,
Kevin

HI Kevin,

Ah, good workflow : ) Thanks for posting the solution.

Cheers,

wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja