Author Topic: Getting started series - Substance Painter  (Read 88139 times)

wacom tablet flow pressure option appears to be missing in 2019.3.1
:(

finished the lantern tutorial yesterday, although there were a few areas where i got different results it was a good overview of substance :)
question:
i am trying to apply what i have learned to my own model now:

-but in the baking process, my model does not have a model with id's like your lantern.id version did-

my model is an obj, and the automatic uv unwrap function appears to have done a decent job with it [although it grouped up a lot of the separate surfaces into a single one] so substance is seeing different surfaces for it...

i tried using the low poly mesh as high poly mesh [i only have the one] and because substance was needed to create my UVs, i am getting a pile of errors being thrown.
what are my options here? I need to bake out the mesh maps, but i can see while it is processing that they are far from correct. when it finishes, they are definitely messed up.

i am quite new to this process and have no idea what to expect here, how to proceed.
thank you,
Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:14:38 pm

Using chrome browser...

Just a question: on the Quiz for Video 01, it tells me i have a correct answer only when I  select none of the options.

What sort of data does the Properties view display?

Context-sensitive data: dependant on what I have selected.
Layer Data: the color and properties of my current material.
Texture data: the setup and shaders of my mesh.
[/img]

Shouldn't we select at least the first one "context sensitive data" like it was said on the tutorial video?

edit: for the Quiz for Video 02, question 03 "Baked ID".. wrong answer no matter what i select?! :-\
Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:36:55 pm

Hi all, just started the tutorial videos & enjoying it so far.
I noticed that in Quiz 2 there is no right answer for this question
I tried them all to no avail. Apart from that, got 8/8 on the first one so happy days so far.
I wonder if I'll be able to finish the getting started tutorials in time to enter the MeetMat contest due by the 22 of Feb....lol. I fear my MeetMat would look pretty rough and my chances of winning anything would be pretty low. :D

Not a huge issue but in Video 3 "Creating The Base Paint Material" @ 12:46, I noticed my "Paint Specs" height layer effect "BnW Spots 1" doesn't have any histogram options available. Using 2019.3.2. Just wondering if they have been moved or removed in this version of Painter.

Hmm, I can't access to the project files the download always stops after couple of minutes
any suggestions ? >:(

On part 9 of the tutorial I cannot stamp the lantern with height data. I can stamp the text into the lantern as color, but not height. Any help?

I do also have this error in my log, not sure what it means

[Data Preset] Invalid preset resource://shelf/rust_2

On part 9 of the tutorial I cannot stamp the lantern with height data. I can stamp the text into the lantern as color, but not height. Any help?

I do also have this error in my log, not sure what it means

[Data Preset] Invalid preset resource://shelf/rust_2

figured it out, I could not see the height stamp because the environmental light was off

Hello,
first of all thanks for this serie of videos, they allow me to start learning this wonderful software.

I followed every step and I´ve come across a situation here in the last video. When I active glare I´m getting no effect on render. I don´t know what I´m doing wrong.

https://i.postimg.cc/52WR7VKL/captura.png

Regards and thanks,
Jero.
Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 06:49:00 pm

Hey guys,

I am working on video 2 of this series. I got to the part about baking the ID mesh textures to remedy the bleeding happening in the original bake. When I follow along with the instructions I get an error telling me that the bake was unsuccessful. Below are screenshots of the original ID texture, the log, and the settings used. Please help.

Bleeding of textures

Errors

Settings

When I active glare I´m getting no effect on render.

https://i.postimg.cc/52WR7VKL/captura.png

The error at the bottom of your screenshot there is to do with a common technical configuration issue regarding your GPU settings.

Substance made an article that explains what it is and how to solve it.

When I follow along with the instructions I get an error telling me that the bake was unsuccessful.

This is because you have "_ID" (uppercase) instead of "_id" (lowercase) for the 'High poly mesh suffix' value.  So the baker is trying to find a match but can't, so fails.