Author Topic: Substance Designer: Procedural rocky ground material series  (Read 78286 times)

Wes,
I am thinking there is something wrong with my .sbs file.  I've noticed that when i import my .sbsar to Unity, the maps are not the same as they are in SD.  For example the normal map looks like one of the prior maps before combining everything together.  Also, my resulting .sbsar file is a lot smaller than i'd imagine it would be, sitting at a 44kb in size where as the .sbs is 589kb.  I've double checked my .sbs file and made sure i didn't create any weird outputs anywhere.  I also tweeked it thinking that 4k would be too big for unity so i made everything 2k.  I've reattached my files just in case.

Regards,
-Jon
Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:21:19 pm

perfect

Wes, sorry to bug but did you run into the same problem i am having with my SD file?

Hey agentc0re,

I am getting the same results in Substance Designer & Substance Player. I assume the issue is Unity.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Wes, sorry to bug but did you run into the same problem i am having with my SD file?

Hi Jon,

I'm very sorry for the late reply. I'm out of town and don't have access to my computer. I will check into it next week when I get back. Are you using the latest version of Unity?

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Jon,

I'm very sorry for the late reply. I'm out of town and don't have access to my computer. I will check into it next week when I get back. Are you using the latest version of Unity?

Cheers,

Wes
Hi Wes,

Yes I am, I'm using 5.1.1.
For what it's worth, i imported your .sbsar to Unity and it worked just fine.

Hello,

Is there a way to load these tutorial files while using Substance Designer 4.6.2 Indie version?

Thank you for all the great tutorials Wes!

Hey Tyler,

unfortunately not, they are created with Substance Designer 5. Even if you could manage to open the files, the nodes can't be used.
This project uses the new nodes a lot.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hello,

Is there a way to load these tutorial files while using Substance Designer 4.6.2 Indie version?

Thank you for all the great tutorials Wes!

Hi Tyler,

Thanks very much : ) New tutorial series is on the way.

You might be able to open the graph, but there are several nodes that are specific to SD 5 and it won't render the material correctly. The cracks pattern that is used to make the rock uses SD 5 nodes.

The nodes that are needed are:
bevel
distance
Opacity setting on blend node

Cheers,

Wes
Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:10:12 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

Aw bummer, I didn't realize the old $200 Indie pack didn't come with updates. I had purchased it awhile ago but I just really started diving into substance last month.

Nice I look forward to watching your new stuff :)

Thanks for the fast reply Fabian and Wes!

Hi Wes, thanks for posting this. 

I'm rather new to substance and creating proc shaders.  I'm trying to figure out how you've created the cracks sbs but I'm pretty much lost.  Is there a step by step tutorial out there that can show me how it's done?

Basically I don't understand the majority of the scripting involved and where you're getting the inputs for the variables you've setup. 

Thanks!

Hi Wes, thanks for posting this. 

I'm rather new to substance and creating proc shaders.  I'm trying to figure out how you've created the cracks sbs but I'm pretty much lost.  Is there a step by step tutorial out there that can show me how it's done?

Basically I don't understand the majority of the scripting involved and where you're getting the inputs for the variables you've setup. 

Thanks!

Hi,

Here is a graph that shows how I create cracks. This graph just shows the cracks and I removed the exposed parameters.

Cheers,

wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks very much Wes!  I really appreciate this! :)

I am not seeing the displacement or height information in the 3D viewer, is there a setting or is it a limitation of my graphics card.. SLI gtx570s

I am not seeing the displacement or height information in the 3D viewer, is there a setting or is it a limitation of my graphics card.. SLI gtx570s

Hi,

You need to make sure that you have an data going to the normal and height outputs in the graph. In the 3D view, under Material>Edit make sure the height scale has a value greater than 0.

Cheers,
Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com