Author Topic: Using world space coordinates  (Read 7084 times)

I am trying to mimic what this guy is doing in UE4.

https://youtu.be/8SxTqlom3Fg?t=19m56s

This seems like a very ideal way to create tileable textures for terrain without having to spend a lot of time creating modular meshes. Is there a way to achieve something like this in substance designer? I am using unity as well. Thank you.

Hey fullmetalstobber,

I don't get what your question is, actually.
He uses the exact same texture and just varies the meshes, or not?
Doing a stone cliff texture like he did is doable in Substance Designer, of course.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

My apologies for not being clearer. As he moved the mesh around you can see how the texture uv coordinates are based on world space. You can see the texture scroll as he translates AND scales his mesh. This makes it so that he can take 2 identical meshes, scale one to an extremely large size, put it INSIDE the other mesh at an angle and it will still tile mostly perfectly.

So specifically I wasn't sure if there was a way to make the UV tiling in substance designer use world coordinates the way he is. If I were to try the same thing in SD using the local uv coordinates my meshes would not tile.
Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:12:52 am

My apologies for not being clearer. As he moved the mesh around you can see how the texture uv coordinates are based on world space. You can see the texture scroll as he translates AND scales his mesh. This makes it so that he can take 2 identical meshes, scale one to an extremely large size, put it INSIDE the other mesh at an angle and it will still tile mostly perfectly.

So specifically I wasn't sure if there was a way to make the UV tiling in substance designer use world coordinates the way he is. If I were to try the same thing in SD using the local uv coordinates my meshes would not tile.

Ahhh, I see what you're asking...I haven't watched the whole video yet, but he doesn't explain how he did it at all? Where?

Hey fullmetalstobber,

I don't think this is possible in Substance Designer right now, because it wouldn't make sense at the moment, too.
You can't rotate and move objects in Substance Designer so assigning objects in World Space wouldn't change that much.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hi,

This is a very cool workflow. I've been following the project and its really great. Some nice training as well. What he is doing is done in the shader/material. The setup in substance would be to output the specific textures you need to feed the material in UE4. You wouldn't visualize this in Substance Designer as its a shader effect. You could if you were to add a custom shader to the viewport.

Substance materials would work well with this type of effect. For example, the Alloy shaders from Rust (unity shaders) does a similar technique of material blending in the shader. However you can feed in substances to drive the effect. I think this would be easier to accomplish in UE4 as you can set this up in the UE4 material. The idea is to create the outputs that you need such as world-space normal and output this as a channel that can be used in the UE4 material. With Substance, you are only generating textures, so you can manipulate the substance textures in the UE4 material before they are sent to the material inputs.

cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja