Author Topic: Browsing Substances In Modo  (Read 12664 times)

I just bought the Substance collections offered for Modo. I have the Substance Player which lets you look at a single Substance, but I don't see a Substance Browser, which would let me look through the hundreds of Substances I now have.
When I choose Texture>Open Substance, I get a text list of them, but no previews. How do I browse my collections?

thanks,
kurt

I just bought the Substance collections offered for Modo. I have the Substance Player which lets you look at a single Substance, but I don't see a Substance Browser, which would let me look through the hundreds of Substances I now have.
When I choose Texture>Open Substance, I get a text list of them, but no previews. How do I browse my collections?

thanks,
kurt

Hi Kurt,

Using Substance Player is a good way to preview substances and you can also save presets of the Substance parameters to load into MODO. However, as you mentioned you are only able to browse one substance at a time. There is a substance browser on the Allegorithmic site. I use this often to preview substances and you can also interactively adjust the parameters in the browser tool. http://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substances. In the search field, you can type in the name of the substance and it will appear below the browser. This will give you a preview and you can load the substance into the substance browser for a closer look.

Best,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Using the browser tool in not really an option. When opening a substance, you just see its file name, e.g., bricks_004.sbsar. If I go to the online browser and search for 'bricks_004', no matches are found. If I search for 'bricks' 29 matches are found, bricks_004 is listed under "Colored and decorative bricks".

However, this is only moderately better than having to use the viewer. Here, I can get back a list of bricks. However, it is difficult to figure out which are relevant, as I own bricks 4, 5, 9, 15, 20, 21, 26, 32, and 34.

All the makes it very expensive in terms of time to browse and select a substance.
Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:39:22 pm

Using the browser tool in not really an option. When opening a substance, you just see its file name, e.g., bricks_004.sbsar. If I go to the online browser and search for 'bricks_004', no matches are found. If I search for 'bricks' 29 matches are found, bricks_004 is listed under "Colored and decorative bricks".

However, this is only moderately better than having to use the viewer. Here, I can get back a list of bricks. However, it is difficult to figure out which are relevant, as I own bricks 4, 5, 9, 15, 20, 21, 26, 32, and 34.

All the makes it very expensive in terms of time to browse and select a substance.

I think that is a very good point. I'll will be sure to pass this on to the team. There really needs to be a good method for browsing substances.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja