Author Topic: Which is the preferred method?  (Read 2493 times)

Hey Guys,

I started to change some substances from Metallic/Roughness to Specular/Glossiness thinking that the last would be the desired method to be used in C4D. But now I start to doubt whether it is necessary at all, don't even remember how I got that idea.

Thanks, Robert

Hi,

the answer is actually, you can use either workflow. Although I have to admit, both are a bit tricky to set up correctly.
Therefore I have attached an archive with two scenes demonstrating the two workflows.
Please note, in order to render straight away, you will need to download an HDR from here (not included due to its size): http://www.maximeroz.com/hdri-free-pack

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Andreas
Cheers,
Andreas

SDK Support Engineer
MAXON Computer GmbH

Thanks a lot Andreas,

Definitely helpful yes, thanks a lot.
I was just wondering; would be good if upon creating materials in C4D, the process would recognize which method was used by looking at the output names and then populate the material(s) accordingly.

Thanks a lot, Robert

Hi Robert,

it is unfortunately not that easy, as Substances can have every combination of outputs. So there could be Metal and Glossy outputs in there at the same time.
We are already thinking about some kind of "Mapping" dialog, but this will probably not make it into the first update.

Bye,
Andreas
Cheers,
Andreas

SDK Support Engineer
MAXON Computer GmbH