Author Topic: Cinema 4d Plugin makes Black Materials  (Read 3377 times)

Hello,

I just downloaded a trial version of Substance Designer and installed the cinema 4d plugin. But when I import the sbsar.file into cinema 4d and make the material it is all black. I imported the same material in Unity and it works fine.

I had a hard time figuring out how to get the sbsar.file but I found I had to publish the substance. Maybe I have to tweak some settings when I publish?

Anyway I have a windows 8 machine, I saw that the cineversity tutorial is on an Apple machine so maybe the integration with Apple is better.
Any suggestion would be welcome. Thx in advance.

I work with Cinema 4d R16.05 on a Windows 8.1 machine.

Edit 1: It seems that only the Normals kind of materialize in the new material in Cinema 4d. But you have to turn them on the be shown.
Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:31:47 pm

Hi dimitryvandenberg,

Would you be able to email me the sbs file so I can take a look? My email is josh.coyne@allegorithmic.com

Hi,
I might be wrong, but perhaps the Substance is just using output channels, which are not automatically mapped, when using "Create Material(s)". Please check the documentation of the plugin (here on Allegorithmic's site), there is a table, which Substance output channels are mapped to certain Cinema 4D material channels.
But this is no problem at all. Simply create a new standard Cinema 4D material and create Substance shaders inside of the needed channels. Then link your Substance to these shaders and choose the desired output channel. This process is also described in the documentation.
I hope, this helps.
Bye,
Andreas
Cheers,
Andreas

SDK Support Engineer
MAXON Computer GmbH

Hi,
I might be wrong, but perhaps the Substance is just using output channels, which are not automatically mapped, when using "Create Material(s)".

Yes that works..I was kind of confused by the Cineversity Tutorial where it worked flawlessly. Thx for the help. I think I'll make a small tutorial myself...because this solution was kind of hard to find.

Here is table for the google searchers.

Substance Cinema 4D Material Channel
Diffuse ->   Color
Emissive ->   Luminance
Reflection ->   Reflectance
Environment ->   Environment
Bump -> Bump
Opacity -> Alpha
Specular -> Reflectance / Default Specular
Height -> Displacement
Normal ->Normal