Author Topic: Displacement Map  (Read 1736 times)

I am trying to apply a true displacement map to my mesh so that its geoemetry is modified. However, when I create a new output node and set it to displacement and add a displacement map texture and connect it. Nothing happens at all.Am I missing something? Can anyone point me to any useful resources on this? I cannot seem to find any. Ideally I would like to make a tileable displacement texture so that I do not have to manually create geoemtry meshes that tile. Thanks.

Hey fullmetalstobber,

the displacement function is not compatible with the standard PBR Shaders, unfortunately.
You need to choose the displacement shader to use it. I think it is called 'tesselation'.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hey fullmetalstobber,

the displacement function is not compatible with the standard PBR Shaders, unfortunately.
You need to choose the displacement shader to use it. I think it is called 'tesselation'.

Best regards

Hi,

As Fabian mentioned, displacement is done through the tessellation shader. Its is only supported on PC. However, if you are using the PBR shaders, you can also connect the map to a height output and the go to the settings for the PBR material and adjust the relief slider. This will provide displacement similar to parallax mapping.

Cheers,

wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

That is good to know. Thanks for the information! I was experimenting with the idea of having the mesh of a tile automatically tile using substances instead of having to manually tile them in ZBrush. The idea being that I could do simple flat surface modeling and then let SD tile them automatically for me.

I was also trying to understand in the bitmap 2 material video how the cubes they were generating had so much depth to them. The depth of them was extreme and didn't look like a simple normal map.
Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:56:09 pm