Author Topic: N-gons?  (Read 1054 times)

At first I thought that I was having trouble with my normals since a lot of my poly's don't show in the 3D view. Now I come to believe that its because of N-gons that they don't show.

Is that correct?
I looked in the online help but could not find anything related to it.

Thanks, Robert

You are correct, n-gons are not supported in Designer.

In fact, even if quads are supported, it is highly recommanded to convert your mesh to triangles before you start texturing it, because if your texturing program and the program you will use your texture in (game engine,...) don't use the same triangulation, the texture may look distorted on the mesh (and possibly the tangent basis will be out of sync too).
Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:34:59 am

Ok thanks a lot Cyrille,

its a pity but I was prepared for this answer.
I am not planning to triangulate in C4D, this is for a animated short not for a game, hopefully it will not give me the problems you are describing.

Regards, Robert

Ok thanks a lot Cyrille,

its a pity but I was prepared for this answer.
I am not planning to triangulate in C4D, this is for a animated short not for a game, hopefully it will not give me the problems you are describing.

Regards, Robert

As your mesh in SD and SP will just be used as a support for your texture, you can export a triangulated copy (that you can delete later). As long as the UVs are the same, it should work

I saw that there may be some solutions to quadrify as well (don't know if they work well) :

http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/community/forum/News/4284