Author Topic: ERR: Cooking fail [Error 6], ERR: (Error 9) Cannot include default dir  (Read 5297 times)

Hello,

I am having a cooking error, no matter WHERE I try to publish to. There are NO bitmaps in my substance.

=========================
launch application:
   C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Substance Designer 5/bin64/sbscooker.exe --input X:/Dropbox/substances/001_patterns/camoPatterns.sbs --includes C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Substance Designer 5/resources/packages --output-path C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/Allegorithmic/Substance Designer --output-name camoPatterns --expose-output-size 1 --expose-random-seed 0 --expose-pixel-size 0 --size-limit 12
Execution failed ! (Exit Code: 6)

Output:

Substance Cooker 4.1.0 build 15676 (Apr  7 2015)

ERR: (Error 9) Cannot include default dir
     Found default packages at C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Substance Designer 5/Resources/packages
ERR: Fail to read package 'X:/Dropbox/substances/001_patterns/camoPatterns.sbsar' (uid=1223508355)
        camoPatterns.sbsar
ERR:       Unable to open file
ERR:       Failed to create package
ERR: (Error 6) Cannot open the package
ERR: Cooking fail [Error 6]

http://screencast.com/t/PnxFkbUMP7xq

======================

Cheers,
Cheers,

MightyMarcos

Hi, it seems your sbs has a dependency and SD can't access to 'X:/Dropbox/substances/001_patterns/camoPatterns.sbsar', is the file available at this specific location?

You can use the "Dependency Manager" window if needed to track the dependencies.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Thanks for the response,

Here is what my dependency manager window looks like on this substance:

http://screencast.com/t/GJkUd0f4oPT8

* Edit: I did figure out how to populate the Dependency Manager, but right clicking an entry and selecting "remove" does nothing.

Actually, I have realized what happened. And honestly, it is based on a bad design decision by your developers.

Short story, I was showing the substance to a friend and I instanced the published sbar within the sbs to show the connectors, I DID NOT SAVE, since I had assumed that substance worked like EVERY OTHER PROGRAM and did not save my changes if did not tell it to save.

Well, substance does not work like everything else, it saves EVERYTHING YOU DO to disk. Whether you are experimenting or not. This is NOT a very good design decision, not only in my opinion, but in the opinion of EVERY OTHER DEVELOPMENT TEAM, since no one else does this.

So now, hours of work are lost.
Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:04:14 pm
Cheers,

MightyMarcos

Designer should definitely not save if you have not asked it to.  Could you please give us detailled steps to reproduce that behaviour, so that we can fix it ?
Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:22:07 pm

SD should not save the sbs file if you don't use the save option.
However, when you publish a sbs file (create a sbsar), SD needs to save it before the publishing process.

What you probably did (not sure, so let me know if I'm wrong), was to edit the sbs, and then publish it. So even if you haven't saved it manually, it has been saved when you published the file.

Regarding the previous version of your sbs, SD creates a ".autosave" folder next to your sbs files. You can probably get an older version of your file in this folder. Be sure to copy/paste the file in another location to preserve the autosave/avoid undesired overwrite.
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

So apparently, this one substance, is the only one doing this behavior  ::)

I tried doing it on a new one, and it works as expected. At this point, I am aware of the issue and will work around it, I was able to edit that dependency, it took multiple tries of the "remove" option, but eventually it worked.

Thanks for you help.
Cheers,

MightyMarcos

Hi,

I'm having this problem right now, but I have no idea what to do to resolve it. I open the Dependenvy Manager, but its empty.

I did open a PBR material from the library, but I didn't modify, save or publish anything there. Now, I have this problem in that substance, plus, I can't publish it (my own).

And even more, since I wasn't aware of this problem, I used part of my substance in another one (a new one). About 6 or 7 hours later I had it ready to publish and it was when I got this error.

So, I can't publish none of them. Can you help me solve this? Because I'm new in SD and I don't get what the problem is or how to solve it (I readed the posts, but I don't understand what to do).

Thank you.

Hi,

I'm having this problem right now, but I have no idea what to do to resolve it. I open the Dependenvy Manager, but its empty.

I did open a PBR material from the library, but I didn't modify, save or publish anything there. Now, I have this problem in that substance, plus, I can't publish it (my own).

And even more, since I wasn't aware of this problem, I used part of my substance in another one (a new one). About 6 or 7 hours later I had it ready to publish and it was when I got this error.

So, I can't publish none of them. Can you help me solve this? Because I'm new in SD and I don't get what the problem is or how to solve it (I readed the posts, but I don't understand what to do).

Thank you.

Hi,

To open the Dependency Manager, first select the package, then right-click and choose dependency manager. This should then populate the manager. I'm sorry, this is confusing. This got me the as well : )

Typically, a publish error can be caused from a missing dependency. So if you can't find it from the manager, try to right-click the package and then choose export with dependencies. Then, open the exported package.

Please let me know if those suggestions help.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,

Thank you for your response. I opened the Dependency Manager (right clicking, as you said), and I saw that I have 26 "alerts" (I don't know if that has a tech name..).

Anyway, I tried to indicate the path of the documents, but it's useless.
In the other hand, I tried to export as you indicated, but the program threw an error to Windows and it automatically closed it (I could get any code for this error, so I suppose it an uncontrolled one).

I opened the program again, doble clicking the substance, it asked me for the path of the substance I just clicked (like before) and.. everything is the same.

I made you screens of everything:

1) When I open the substances.
2) The Dependency Manager.
3) The error I get when I try to publish the substances.

And the last error (when I try to export) is an OS error and in Spanish, so I don't think you can get anything from there..

Than you for your assistance.