Author Topic: Problem with multiple bitmap textures from SP in Blender  (Read 1602 times)

Today, I ran across a strange problem with my first project using Substance Painter to generate bitmap textures for Blender Cycles.  Materials looked great until I got to the sixth one.  The normal map details were missing.  The Blender console indicated that the 6th normal map was not being loaded because of a limitation in CUDA which maxes out at 5 float textures.  When exporting .png maps in SP, the normal map is 16-bits/channel which Blender seems to convert to (or at least interpret as) a float texture.

I could resolve the issue by any one of the following:
  • Switch from GPU to CPU rendering
  • Export maps as .jpg
  • Convert the normal map from 16 bits/channel to 8 bits/channel in Photoshop
It would be great if I could directly export maps from SP in 8-bit .png format.

Bit depth control is planned, we don't have it yet.
Meanwhile you can use an other format such as TGA which is 8bits only (but still supports alpha if you need it).
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thank you.

This has opened my eyes to Blender's limitation of the number of 8-bit textures that can be rendered in the GPU as well-- only 145 for my graphics card.  I am going to have to be more economical in texturing my project which has dozens of structures--each with up to 5 materials.  I'll have to start sharing materials per building and texture sets for each material.