Author Topic: UNC network path name  (Read 1200 times)

Hi Guys,

When starting a new project: file>new...
Ive noticed i cannot load an obj using the naming structure - \\network\folder\...\object.obj
I have to map the network drive instead e.g. s:\folder\...\object.obj

I cant seem to find anyone with the same problem.. so am i doing something really stupid or is this a know issue??

EDIT:
Also when exporting the final textures.. it just fails when using full network path and fine when using mapped drive.

thanks
Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:31:00 am

This is an expected behavior : we don't support network path unless they are mapped.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Yep - I just hit this one - had a frustrating hour our three with it.  If it's in the docs (and this is not a criticism), maybe make it bigger and bolder.  A fundamental gotcha that can waste a lot of time for folk who don't realise.

Are there any plans to implement this.. is very frustrating.

This is something that we're having an issue with, we don't use path mapping in our studio.  I'm really not sure I understand why this isn't supported?  Every other package we use (Maya, Max, Houdini, Photoshop, Zbrush etc) can handle this kind of thing so it shouldn't be a problem surely?

The help page says it's because it requires authentication and the software can't do that, how are the other programs doing it then?

Agreed, I'm surprised this isn't supported in Painter.

I don't know how other software handle it, but in our case we choose to not develop it to focus on other task instead.
That's why it's not supported at the moment. We don't have plan to work on it for now.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.