Author Topic: Painter crash on startup.  (Read 3481 times)

Hi i opened SP last night only to see it crash once it has loaded. i cant to anything before it kicks me back to my desktop. i sent a bug report when it happened but its still doing the same thing, any idea how to make it work?

Were you loading an older project or did it crash straight on launch ?

at launch. just from starting either in steam or as a stand alone install..

any ideas? it was working about a week ago? its kind of holding me up atm...

i got it to boot just the once by uninstalling it from my HDD and putting it on my SSD but after the first time it did the same thing and crashed each time i tried to open it.

Can you share you log file ?
You can find it here :
    Windows : C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter\log.txt
    Mac OS : Macintosh > Users > *username* > Library > allegorithmic > substance painter > log.txt
    Note : On Mac OS "library" is an hidden folder.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

normally this is installed on my D drive but the crash seems to have been for the same reason? so im guessing this should work just as well.

any ideas?

I'm not sure the one you have is up to date. Just to be sure : can you delete the log file, restart Painter and then share the log file again ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

yup. :) thanks btw. i wouldnt be so pushy i just have some stuff isd really like to get done :)

is it likely to be an update to the software that broke it? it just seems to have died all on its own

OK so i stopped being lazy and took a look at this myself.
looks like some old custom substance files (specifically the elegant fabric and painted metals from here: https://gumroad.com/plyczkowski) are crashing Substance painter. do you guys know why? for now i pulled them out of the directory and put them in their own folder, but it might be good to know what is causing it to crash?

Ha interesting. I didn't try out those substance so right now I can't tell you why it would make the software crash.
I will see if I get more information on them.

Can you tell me exactly with material/substance create the crash ?
Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:25:34 pm
-----------

not sure about the others. but the ones that set it off were the belt leather, elegant fabric and painted metal.

Also, while I'm here, since i have all 3 softwares does that not mean i should be able to get live or do i need to do something else?