Author Topic: 8k texture support  (Read 21180 times)

Guys, they've said multiple times that anything above 4k is NOT officially supported for multiple reasons just in this thread alone. And while I don't know their official stance, I am pretty sure they are targeting the game market and there's really no need for anything above 4k (at this moment anyway)

I think that everyone understands that, but there is just a fuzzy area of "not officially supported." For example, Microsoft does "not officially support" OpenGL, but that does not mean that you should just give up and not even try to use OpenGL programs on Windows.

The question is, are we talking "not officially supported" as in "you need to do some workarounds with other programs, but as long as you do everything the right way, it technically should work" or are we talking "not officially supported" as in "that's never going to happen in a million years, no matter what you do?"

That is a pretty big difference, and just in this thread we have seen statements that imply both that it should be possible, and that it isn't possible. I won't speak for anyone else, but if it might be technically possible, then I am more than willing to put in the time to try and figure out those workarounds on my own. If it is just a waste of time to even try, then that's another deal entirely.

Hi,

You can export 8K from SD. However, since the GPU engine is needed, you need to have a very good GPU to get this resolution. If you needed to publish a substance at 8k, you need to go to the preferences>general>Cooker and set the cooking limit to 8192. I was able to export 8K images for this project using an nvidia Geforce 970M 3GB.

Cheers,

Wes

hey Wes,

I set the cooking limit to 8K, but when creating a new substance graph, the max. output size still remains 4K - what did I wrong?

Cheers

edit: I got a 2GB MSI 770GTX with latest drivers installed...
Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 01:12:32 pm

cooker is 8K res, but graph is 4k limit see:

Guys, they've said multiple times that anything above 4k is NOT officially supported for multiple reasons just in this thread alone. And while I don't know their official stance, I am pretty sure they are targeting the game market and there's really no need for anything above 4k (at this moment anyway)

I think that everyone understands that, but there is just a fuzzy area of "not officially supported." For example, Microsoft does "not officially support" OpenGL, but that does not mean that you should just give up and not even try to use OpenGL programs on Windows.

The question is, are we talking "not officially supported" as in "you need to do some workarounds with other programs, but as long as you do everything the right way, it technically should work" or are we talking "not officially supported" as in "that's never going to happen in a million years, no matter what you do?"

That is a pretty big difference, and just in this thread we have seen statements that imply both that it should be possible, and that it isn't possible. I won't speak for anyone else, but if it might be technically possible, then I am more than willing to put in the time to try and figure out those workarounds on my own. If it is just a waste of time to even try, then that's another deal entirely.

Just from someone on the outside looking in...I say they've been very polite and accommodating to those wanting their unofficial support.

However, I would rather them be working on/fixing what IS officially supported. Perfecting what we've officially paid for and they've promised rather than attempting to try anything that's not officially supported...yet (perhaps).

There's nothing wrong with trying to tinker around and finding a workaround for what you desire (unsupported settings). Just keep in mind what they've already discussed.

To get an 8k map in Designer, just put 13 in the Output Size Width and Height. I think you may be able to do 14 and 15, for 16k and 32k, if you set the cooker limit in the preferences, though I'm sure they may crash Designer.

Edit : this lets you "cook" at 8k+, but the bakers are still limited to 4k, so any normal/AO/curvature bakes would be uprezzed. The curvature/Ambient Occlusion nodes may work at 8k, if you import an 8k normal map, I haven't tested that myself.
Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:55:36 pm

I've just seen this thread.
Thank you Cyrille for your kind reply, I understand now the reason of the cpu limit.
Said that, I know that SD main purpose is to create substances, but for me it has become my main tool for baking and texturing maps (I bypass photoshop almost entirely).
Sadly, as I work on real-time characters with 4K maps most of the times, working with SD can be difficult, as the amount of VRAM available on most GPUs is quite limited.
Sure, working at lower resolutions may work, but I think that from an artist point of view it is important to work on the final resolution.
I hope we will see a CPU engine one day, that is not meant for making substances, but rather compositing texture maps.
Btw, thanks for the awesome job on SD5!