Author Topic: Sliders for exposed parameters are not working  (Read 2672 times)

Hello guys,
I've followed the excellent tutorial for grass creation from Vincent Gault but I have some problem working with UE4 now.

After I import the sbar in UE (4.6.0 and 4.7.5 share the same issue) I'm able to modify the exposed parameters just once, then the material doesn't update anymore. Moving all the sliders try to do further modifications to the exposed parameters.

I'm sure I'm missing something (probably because I'm really new to this workflow).
I also tried to search in the forum, without any success.
Would you be so kind to give a look to the attached sbar file?
Thanks!

Anyway, the sbar works in Cinema 4d, and I'm able to use the sliders and change the parameters, however it needs a concerning high amount of time for the modification to take effect.

Hello guys,
I've followed the excellent tutorial for grass creation from Vincent Gault but I have some problem working with UE4 now.

After I import the sbar in UE (4.6.0 and 4.7.5 share the same issue) I'm able to modify the exposed parameters just once, then the material doesn't update anymore. Moving all the sliders try to do further modifications to the exposed parameters.

I'm sure I'm missing something (probably because I'm really new to this workflow).
I also tried to search in the forum, without any success.
Would you be so kind to give a look to the attached sbar file?
Thanks!

Anyway, the sbar works in Cinema 4d, and I'm able to use the sliders and change the parameters, however it needs a concerning high amount of time for the modification to take effect.

Hi,

I checked the sbsar file. The parameters are working, but its just taking a very long time to process. UE4 is using the CPU engine so this has some impact. Also, the graph is locked at 2K. However, this should be very quick. Can you please post the sbs? There is mostly likely something in the graph that is making the computation time go very high.

Cheers,

wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hello Wes, thanks for the fast reply.

The long computation could be due to the two FX-MAPS (that iterate thousands of items) ?

I attached the sbs for your scrutitiny.

Hello Wes, thanks for the fast reply.

The long computation could be due to the two FX-MAPS (that iterate thousands of items) ?

I attached the sbs for your scrutitiny.

Hi,

Yes, that mostly likely the issue. I wouldn't recommend using complex computations of that nature for use in a game engine. I would recommend that you use the splatter node instead. You can get pretty much the same effect and it will be much less expensive than 2 fx maps. Using splatter will be a more optimized method for use in UE4 which also only uses the CPU engine.

Another thing you can do is in the project preferences, go to the Substance category and increase the texture memory budget to 1 or 2K. Also, you can increase the cores if your CPU supports it. This will speed things up as well.

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

You're the man!
I've increased the number of cores to 12. Now it's working (still laggy in the response time, but working)

Anyway, I will also investigate the splatter solution, as you suggested.

thanks again!

You're the man!
I've increased the number of cores to 12. Now it's working (still laggy in the response time, but working)

Anyway, I will also investigate the splatter solution, as you suggested.

thanks again!

Cool! Glad that helped. Also, you should think about replacing the fx maps in the sbs with the splatter node. You can pretty much get them same effect but much less heavy on computation. It will be very fast with splatter node.

Cheers,

wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hey nice grass but you shouldn't listen to French people on Youtube 8)

If you want to stick with FX maps, another solution to be more performant would be to generate the grass in two steps : one Fx map (or tile sample or splatter) of more or less 30 strands (without touching the borders) that you plug to a Fx map and iterate 30 times again.

It avoids to have a 1000 costly FX map. Furthermore, even if a single strand occupy a tiny amount of the texture space, you pay for the full price if the input in the FX map, do the technique above should be way more efficient.

If I have time, I am going to make a small third "optimization" video to explain this.

Cool! Glad that helped. Also, you should think about replacing the fx maps in the sbs with the splatter node. You can pretty much get them same effect but much less heavy on computation. It will be very fast with splatter node.

Cheers,

wes

Sure Wes, I'm going to give it a try! Really curious to see the performance difference in UE (-:

Hey nice grass but you shouldn't listen to French people on Youtube 8)

If you want to stick with FX maps, another solution to be more performant would be to generate the grass in two steps : one Fx map (or tile sample or splatter) of more or less 30 strands (without touching the borders) that you plug to a Fx map and iterate 30 times again.

It avoids to have a 1000 costly FX map. Furthermore, even if a single strand occupy a tiny amount of the texture space, you pay for the full price if the input in the FX map, do the technique above should be way more efficient.

If I have time, I am going to make a small third "optimization" video to explain this.

hehe glad to catch with you in the forum too, Vincent! :D
Anyway, your solution sounds like a good compromise. And the given explanation is already pretty clear.

Beside a video tutorial about it, I would be much more interested in a tutorial where you rush quickly over some different examples of  FX-MAPS. Like a showcase of the possibilities. I bet one can do pretty different things with FX-MAPS.

Also, ideally in a part two of the tutorial, it would be pretty useful to know how one can obtain the same effects outside fx-maps (like Wes showed with the splatter) and point out the limitations and differences of both way to do the same thing.
This would be super interesting to learn better this software!

But of course take it as a kind and polite suggestion. It's not a request (-:

cheers, guys

These are great suggestions : I put them in My "MayDo" list
(which is like a TODO list depending of my time  :-))

cool!  :P
take care