Author Topic: Modo Substance plugin not compatible with all SD5 features?  (Read 9929 times)

I created an 'ocean foam' substance yesterday in SD5.  Used some of the awesome new features - edge bevel, distance, etc.

I tried to load it using the recently released Substance plugin for Modo 801, but got an error:

'This substance contains features that are not supported'

Is the plugin due to be updated soon?  It would be frustrating not to be able to use the substance because the plugin doesn't load it.

I also have access to Maya - is the Maya substance plugin more up to date in terms of feature support?

Many thanks - I'd prefer to use Modo, but I've got a job to finish.

I created an 'ocean foam' substance yesterday in SD5.  Used some of the awesome new features - edge bevel, distance, etc.

I tried to load it using the recently released Substance plugin for Modo 801, but got an error:

'This substance contains features that are not supported'

Is the plugin due to be updated soon?  It would be frustrating not to be able to use the substance because the plugin doesn't load it.

I also have access to Maya - is the Maya substance plugin more up to date in terms of feature support?

Many thanks - I'd prefer to use Modo, but I've got a job to finish.

Hi Alex,

I'm very sorry for this issue, but the MODO plugin is not currently working with Substance 5 engine. We are working on the update now and will send it to the Foundry for the 901 release. Once I have an updated build, I will post it back here for you. Should be very soon : )

In the meantime, here are the updated Maya plugins for 2015 and 2016. You need to open the zip and then drag the modules and plug-ins folder to the maya root installation folder and overwrite.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the quick reply, Wes.  Look forward to the updated plugin, and Maya should get the job done in the meantime.

Cheers

AJ

Thanks for the quick reply, Wes.  Look forward to the updated plugin, and Maya should get the job done in the meantime.

Cheers

AJ

No problem : ) We have it working for 901 already, but there was an issue with 801 sp4. The v5 engine works but the parameter tweaks were no longer having an effect. They have compatibility breaks between SP releases which makes things fun for us : )

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Any updates on that ?
I was just loading a sbsar file into the newly released modo 901 and it displayed the error message: "Substance file contains features not yet supported".
(I used the updated V2.0.1 substance plugin for modo 901).

Do you have an approximate ETA for the substance plugin version for modo supporting all SD 5 features ?

Thanks & kind regards.

Hey Wes,

just to follow up on what Sven has asked, has there been any progress with the Substance plugins for Modo...specifically Modo 801 sp4? With the current state (mess) of the initial Modo 901 release, and the fact that Modo 801 sp4 seems to be a rock solid performer at the moment, it would be a shame not to be able to use Substances directly inside Modo until, say, Modo 901 sp4...by then, hopefully theFoundry would have gotten rid of all the bugs and given users a stable release...LOL.

Cheers
-Toby

Any updates on that ?
I was just loading a sbsar file into the newly released modo 901 and it displayed the error message: "Substance file contains features not yet supported".
(I used the updated V2.0.1 substance plugin for modo 901).

Do you have an approximate ETA for the substance plugin version for modo supporting all SD 5 features ?

Thanks & kind regards.

Hi Sven and Toby,

We are working on the builds for the substance 5 engine support. I will post the updated plugins here before they go to Foundry so you don't have to wait for Foundry to release it.

So, 901 (the program itself) is having issues? I've been using it, but not very often : )

Cheers,

wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Wes,

you da man...many thanks for the really prompt reply. I've got to say, I've only just started with Designer and Painter (LOVE PAINTER!!!!!), but the support you are giving everyone here, from the posts I've read so far, is exemplary!

So, 901 (the program itself) is having issues? I've been using it, but not very often : )

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of people are reporting many bugs and crashes and such with the initial 901 release over on the foundry forums. The 'Known Issues' list that TF provided for 901 was not at all confidence inspiring. This is the first time that I have not purchased an upgrade right away...when I read what some are having issues with over on the Modo forums, I'm glad I didn't just jump at this one. Time and service packs will sort out the issues, but it would still be great to be able to use substances in 801 SP4 :-)

Cheers
-Toby
Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:00:11 pm

Wes,

you da man...many thanks for the really prompt reply. I've got to say, I've only just started with Designer and Painter (LOVE PAINTER!!!!!), but the support you are giving everyone here, from the posts I've read so far, is exemplary!

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of people are reporting many bugs and crashes and such with the initial 901 release over on the foundry forums. The 'Know Issues' list that TF provided for 901 was not at all confidence inspiring. This is the first time that I have not purchased an upgrade right away...when I read what some are having issues with over on the Modo forums, I'm glad I didn't just jump at this one. Time and service packs will sort out the issues, but it would still be great to be able to use substances in 801 SP4 :-)

Cheers
-Toby

Hey Toby,

Hmm, that is a shame. I didn't notice too many issues, but I'm not too fond of the new viewport. The Physically-Based material is ok, but its not a game shader so very different than what is used in Substance and UE4. It uses a very close BRDF (modo = GTR). Its basically the same as GGX, but I'm not sure if they have done any tweaks are there end. However, the material shader itself is geared to match the modo renderer and is not a game shader. When I heard them first state PBR, I thought they were talking about a game PBR shader similar to Maya's stingray shader.

I have attached the latest builds. We have a fix for normal maps and this works with SD5 engine graphs.

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

I have attached the latest builds. We have a fix for normal maps and this works with SD5 engine graphs.

Hey Wes,

thanks for the latest Build, I just installed and ran it in 801 sp 4 with the following problems:

- it will now load the SD5 graphs no problems :-)

- it seems you can't change any of the parameters
(I think you mentioned this in another thread in regards to the old 801 plugin when it was first released)

- the texture output size is locked to 256 x 256...can't generate maps at a higher resolution.

Cheers,
-Toby

Hey Wes,

thanks for the latest Build, I just installed and ran it in 801 sp 4 with the following problems:

- it will now load the SD5 graphs no problems :-)

- it seems you can't change any of the parameters
(I think you mentioned this in another thread in regards to the old 801 plugin when it was first released)

- the texture output size is locked to 256 x 256...can't generate maps at a higher resolution.

Cheers,
-Toby

Hey Toby,

Ah, yes. I'm sorry, I was confused. I needed to send the 801 plugin. Can you please try this one?

Cheers,

wes
Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:47:51 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hey Toby,

Ah, yes. I'm sorry, I was confused. I needed to send the 801 plugin. Can you please try this one?

Cheers,

wes

Hey Wes,

Awesome, been playing with this last one for 801 for the past couple of hours and it seems to be working correctly. Parameters are adjustable and the Output size can also be increased.
Can you tell me if there will be the ability to up the res to 4096 in the future...or is 2048 the limit?

Cheers
-Toby

Hey Toby,

Cheers,

wes

Hey Wes,

Awesome, been playing with this last one for 801 for the past couple of hours and it seems to be working correctly. Parameters are adjustable and the Output size can also be increased.
Can you tell me if there will be the ability to up the res to 4096 in the future...or is 2048 the limit?

Cheers
-Toby

Hey Toby,

Glad to hear its working now : )

You can use 4K textures. You need to enable the GPU engine. To do this, go to Texture>Substance and Switch Engine. Choose GPU. You will need to restart modo, but when you come back, you will be able to select 4096.

Cheers,

wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes,

thanks a lot for providing the new modo 901 plugin version so fast :) !

Now the new substance features from SD5 are working in modo 901.
However, the substances look partially different from what I see in SD5, even
when using somewhat similar HDRIs ;-)  Will do some more tests.
Also modo 901 does not seem to support some of the channels like AO, glossiness, metallic, ... but that's not the fault of SD5 ;)

Thanks again for the first class service.

Cheers,
Sven

Hi Wes,

thanks a lot for providing the new modo 901 plugin version so fast :) !

Now the new substance features from SD5 are working in modo 901.
However, the substances look partially different from what I see in SD5, even
when using somewhat similar HDRIs ;-)  Will do some more tests.
Also modo 901 does not seem to support some of the channels like AO, glossiness, metallic, ... but that's not the fault of SD5 ;)

Thanks again for the first class service.

Cheers,
Sven

Hi Sven,

Glad to hear its working with the SD5 features.

MODO 901 introduced a physically-based viewport and material. However, its different from the shader used in Substance which is geared towards realtime rendering. Modo's material is now using GTR BRDF which is essentially GGX (derivative of GTR). This is great and inline with Substance.

For modo, you will need to use the specular/gloss PBR map types. Metallic is not supported, but its best to use Spec/Gloss for modo anyways. I think for AO, you can use this as a diffuse amount layer effect.

There are some users who are creating material rigs to work with metalness. It is possible. Here is one. http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=32&t=92574&show=pbr%2cmetallic

However, I would recommend just using specular/gloss workflow for the maps. Even if you author in metal/rough, which I do, you can just export the converted spec/gloss maps.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com