Author Topic: SSE Triplanar Publishing error  (Read 7306 times)

In 5.0.1p2 (the latest from 3 or 4 days ago), the tri planar still seems to have pixelation issues. (both screenshots are 2048 resolution, top is the SD, bottom is Unity)

I'm also attaching the "Workaround" node that someone from Allegorithmic sent out in another thread a while back which should make it work in Unity 5, but requires 3 individual position maps.

EDIT:  Last image is using the work around (top link below) node, seems to work fine.

Hi Andrew,

I've checked with the devs and the pixelation issue is coming from the CPU engine not being able to use 16 bit for the position maps. Its not a matter of their being a bug in the triplanar, but an issue with with CPU vs GPU engines. Unity uses the CPU substance engine so the triplanar can't work without pixelation in a runtime. I'm sorry for this. I was confused myself. I wasn't aware that the triplanar needed the GPU engine.

A workaround would be to "bake" the result of the triplanar. You would process the effect, then save it out and import it back in. So if you are using a generator such as metal edge wear, you will process the custom grunge map with triplanar to get the seamless projection, then feed it into the generator. In the case of using a generator, you can then use the parameters on the generator to still control the effect. This is also going to be a more optimized way of working in Unity anyways as the triplanar node is a very heavy computation for the realtime engines. The devs mentioned that is wasn't designed for realtime use, however, they are continuing to make optimizations.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Awesome, that's something I feel sorry I didn't think of before, but of course that would work!  The Unity-version of the tri planar does work, however -- it seemed to in my latest test.

hmmm ill give that a whirl.

did you ever find out why we couldn't publish wes?

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I haven't found the reason as to way it didn't error for me. I was able to publish with version 5.0.3 build 15660. I think what I did differently was to publish from the packaged with dependencies file. Kay sent me the project after it was packaged with dependencies. I then opened that file. Can you try to right-click the package in the SD explorer window and then choose export with dependencies. Then open the sbs from this packaged location and try to publish.

Cheers,

Wes

YOU BEAUTIFUL MAN YOU! IT WORKED!!!!!!! <---tries to not break down and cry tears of joy> lol
Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:23:29 pm

now I am getting :Failed to retrieve a single SBSASM file in the archive... Did you use the Substance cooker to generated the archive ?:

nevermind I updated to 5.1.0p2

nevermind I updated to 5.1.0p2

: ) That is is. It needs to be 5.1.02 for Unity.

cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

yeah man thanks. now the fun part....playing catchup and rigging all the zombie variants with their clothing combinations. :)

I will ask my client if I can send you some screenies of my work so you can see.

yeah man thanks. now the fun part....playing catchup and rigging all the zombie variants with their clothing combinations. :)

I will ask my client if I can send you some screenies of my work so you can see.

Cool! Would love to see it.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hey wes, wanted to ask, do we still require 3 position maps?

Hey wes, wanted to ask, do we still require 3 position maps?

Hi,

The 3 position maps is a workaround for the CPU substance engine not supporting 16 bit. The triplanar nodes needs a 16 bit position map to not get the pixelation. The CPU engine which is the engine only available in Unity only supports 8 bit. You don't need to use the 3 position map version, but it may not give the best result.

Cheers,

wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes,

The baking out (the triplanar mapped noise) alternative is a good idea, thanks!

Hi Wes,

The baking out (the triplanar mapped noise) alternative is a good idea, thanks!

Hi Käy ,

No problem : ) Glad that is helpful.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com