Author Topic: Create graph instance from blueprint issue  (Read 5960 times)

Hi,

I'm trying to create graph instances on the fly or at least at compile time from a blueprint in UE4. However, I can't get it work.

What I'm trying to achieve is a way to generate normal maps and roughness maps based on the image I pass as a parameter to my blueprint. I already have a substance that can do this, but I'm finding the solution where I have to manually create instances in the content browser unscalable. I have tried using "Create Graph Instance" and "Duplicate Graph Instance" from inside the Blueprint in both compile time and runtime. Please also note that I haven't used the "...baked" option in the factory props.

Do you have any general recommendations or preferred approach? Should I, instead of using the substance, generate the maps from the UE4 material editor, even though this will create a slight overhead in development?

Thanks!

After create instance (or duplicate instance -- both work the same), make sure you set parameters (if any) and call Generate Outputs node, next call the AsyncRendering node (Substance Factory properties need to allow for async rendering)

can you be a little bit more detailed I'm still not having successful results

here is what I'm doing

http://imgur.com/6rfRnZs

Create Graph Instance always returns null and there is no documentation I've found anywhere

I don't even know what the Graph Desc Index does since the variables have no commenting
Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:15:09 am

can you be a little bit more detailed I'm still not having successful results

here is what I'm doing

http://imgur.com/6rfRnZs

Create Graph Instance always returns null and there is no documentation I've found anywhere

I don't even know what the Graph Desc Index does since the variables have no commenting

HI,

Here is a blueprint for creating a graph instance. We did find a bug where the SGM option needs to be set to load and sync or load and async. The baked and cache options are not working and we will fix this in the next update.

Right click on substance instance factory->asset actions->bulk edit via property matrix
click substance on right side of new window and change generation mode to SGM_LoadSync or SGM LoadSync.

Cheers,

Wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

and how do I then change the instance my material is using. From the material I can ->get Substances but how do I set the substanceInstance on a material?

and how do I then change the instance my material is using. From the material I can ->get Substances but how do I set the substanceInstance on a material?

Hi,

I attached an image that shows the full workflow. Special thanks to @josh.coyne

Cheers,
Wes

Why is this still such a hard process to do? I'm having a hard time trying to get this to work, spent a few hours trying to debug...followed the process, experimented on my own. Why are these prebuilt "working" functions not already part of the plugin? This should be a very simple process to allow us users to duplicate instances on different BPs with ease.

I am surprised there's no tutorial on this yet. But at very least, try to add some functionality and make it more user friendly!

Thanks.

Why is this still such a hard process to do? I'm having a hard time trying to get this to work, spent a few hours trying to debug...followed the process, experimented on my own. Why are these prebuilt "working" functions not already part of the plugin? This should be a very simple process to allow us users to duplicate instances on different BPs with ease.

I am surprised there's no tutorial on this yet. But at very least, try to add some functionality and make it more user friendly!

Thanks.

Hi Victor,

I'm sorry for these issues. Can you please detail specially what you are having trouble with and I can help? Are you looking to just duplicate the instances?

We do have a blueprint lesson in the UE4 training course. Have you seen this already?

Cheers,
Wes

This is really a missing feature, im suffering with the same problem and cant find a solution.

This is really a missing feature, im suffering with the same problem and cant find a solution.

HI,

I recently added new docs to cover this. It is an involved process and we have ideas to make this simpler in the future. I will also be creating a video tutorial for this as well to match the docs.

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/integrations/Blueprint%3A+Dynamic+Material+Instance

Cheers,
Wes

4 years later, and it doesn't appear anything has changed with this, or am i missing something?

In https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFATxLO_rvQ&t=1044s he simply right clicks, and its there. Was this removed? Does this only appear if you've done the Blueprint you've linked?

As for the "Right click on substance instance factory->asset actions->bulk edit via property matrix
click substance on right side of new window and change generation mode to SGM_LoadSync or SGM LoadSync. "

There is no Substance on the right side of the new window. Theres a Substance nest on the left side, but it only shows the pathway to the material itself.

wait, think i figured it out with https://docs.substance3d.com/integrations/material-instance-definition-157352129.html

is this the same process that was shown in the tutorial program? because it's not the same work flow