Author Topic: Usage on Wacom Tablets  (Read 9044 times)

Hi there,

I plan to use Substance Designer and Painter with a Wacom Tablet, such as Cintiq Intuos Pro or Cintiq Companion 2. Please, could somebody advice me what device would work better with allegorithmics software? What's the status of the hardware support?

Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:21:10 pm
Cheers,
Tom

Hi there,

I plan to use Substance Designer and Painter with a Wacom Tablet, such as Cintiq Intuos Pro or Cintiq Companion 2. Please, could somebody advice me what device would work better with allegorithmics software? What's the status of the hardware support?

Best regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I use a Cintiq 13HD. It works very well with Painter. I also use a Surface Pro 3 and it works pretty good. The internal GPU is pretty weak, but its usable. I'm not sure what the GPU in the Companion 2 is, but I think its better than the integrated GPU of the Surface Pro 3.

On my Surface, I use the following tool for on screen buttons. http://radialmenu.weebly.com/

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey Wes,

I also got the Cintiq 13HD - but too me, it is a bit too small to use it as a screen (when doing longer sessions, I mostly switch to my 24" monitor) Do you use it to actually to draw/paint on it or do you use it more as an odinary tablet?

What settings / config do you have?

Cheers

Hey Wes,

I also got the Cintiq 13HD - but too me, it is a bit too small to use it as a screen (when doing longer sessions, I mostly switch to my 24" monitor) Do you use it to actually to draw/paint on it or do you use it more as an odinary tablet?

What settings / config do you have?

Cheers

Hi Elowan,

I use it for painting and sculpting. I don't have any custom configurations for it. I actually use the keyboard instead of the buttons on the Cintiq. I should try to configure the buttons to see if I can get a better workflow : )

Cheers,

wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hey guys,

I also find the Cintiq 13HD a bitt too small. For Sculpting/Painting sessions on the go it is very useful, but for work at home I don't like it too much.
The Wacom buttons can be useful, too, but I've never seen one using them actually. I just use a keyboard.

The Companion is even smaller, isn't it? For Concept Artists and people who like to draw both products are great, but for Substance Painter I think they are too small.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hi Fabian,

I also find the Cintiq 13HD a bitt too small. For Sculpting/Painting sessions on the go it is very useful, but for work at home I don't like it too much.

The Companion is even smaller, isn't it? For Concept Artists and people who like to draw both products are great, but for Substance Painter I think they are too small.

can you tell us, what config do you have "at home"?
Cheers,
Tom

@all...

Thanks for your answers.

I tend to take a look at a Intuos Pro XL or Cintiq 22/27HD Touch. So what would you advise me to buy?
I'm an independent game developer and plan to use the graphics tablet for drawing storyboards, 2D visual art and concepts. After an intensiv search for information on both types of graphics tablets, such as Intuos and Cintiq, I'm a little bit confused. ;)

Some people say, the Intuos is better for drawing, because you get more sensitivity and a direct touch to the surface of the tablet. But some other say, the advantage of the real display, so that you can see what you draw on the Cintiqs, is even better. Uhh...

What would you say? Is the way on a glass surface to draw pleasant and workable?
For now, I only use an old Wacom Tablet from a Bamboo-like series. So I can't imagine, what's really better...

But one fact is for sure: In the near future I want to buy no more graphics tablets. ;)
Cheers,
Tom

Hey tom.art,

at home I just use the Wacom Intuos Pro M, because I take it with me a lot of time so I don't want it to be too large.
I worked with the older and the newer (not the latest) versions of the Cintiq 22 & 24 HD. Those are great to draw and what I like about them is you could use them as a regular Monitor when you don't need to paint.
You won't get the nice surface to paint on like the Intuos Pro has it, but it's not really a drawback, I have to admit.

What I didn't like was the display resolution. It really needs 4K (Retina) in my opinion. Maybe they increased the resolution since I used them the last time.

There is no 'better', though. It really depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it. If you can spend the money and think about it: Take the Cintiq. If it is too expensive: The Intuos would be the better choice.

Best Regards
Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:26:38 am
Environment Artist - Twitter

I have a recently acquired Wacom 22HD and it works perfectly with Substance Painter. Also I have a Wacom Bamboo and A Yiynova DP10 and while they work well with Substance Painter (ie i haven't had any issues), needless to say I will be using the 22HD from now on.

Using the old school Wacom 4 w/ SP. Love it. No problems.

I just managed to get the Cintiq 27 QHD-Pen/touch.  SO far i love it.
Though keyboard is still an issue. I have one on a monitor arm.. and am also looking into something slim enough to fit along the bottom.. or maybe a split one for my chair arms.