Author Topic: Question on gloss/spec...  (Read 1689 times)

I know questions on this subject come up quite a bit. I do have the latest version of the GlossSpecNormal shader and I am loading it into my viewport settings.

Now, I originally created a couple of materials in Designer. When I load my material (created with gloss/spec intentions) into Painter, and use a fill layer to apply it to a model, it doesn't look quite like it should, relative to the Designer viewport which is using the Gloss/Shader setting.

I noticed that the only available channels in Painter for the materials is Diffuse, Height, Metal, Rough. And obviously the outputs in my Designer material is Diffuse, Normal, Spec, Gloss.

So where do I plug in my Spec Gloss? If I plug them into the Metal and Roughness shader, it doesn't seem to make any difference in the way the material is displayed in the viewport.

Am I missing a step in the conversion process? Should I be doing something to the Designer settings outputs to prepare it for Painter?

I'm grateful for any help. Thank you.

Project created in Substance Painter come with default channels. Obviously those channels are for the Metallic/Roughness workflow, not Spec/Gloss. In order to get the correct rendering and make it work with the custom shader you need to remove the metallic and roughness channel and add a glossiness and specular channel instead. You can do that by clicking on the button (+) above the list of the channels in the texture set properties.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thank you! I was not aware that palette in the upper left was a global parameter palette. Thanks so much.

I noticed that lot of people ask questions about the gloss/spec workflow in Substance Painter - since it isn't easily supported in the software as it is in Designer.

There doesn't seem to be one single place to go for documentation on how to quickly setup Painter to work with Gloss/Spec materials you have created using Designer. The process to setup Painter for this is simple, but if you do not know where to go and what settings to change, it can be difficult to figure out without going to forums somewhere.

Whenever I would google my issue, I found if people got replies then they would get vague answers with spotty directions, or they would reply that they fixed it but they're vague about the solution, or they didn't list out everything they did to fix it.

I know Algorithmic is working on a solution for this, but in the meantime is there a place that lays out this workflow plainly??

I could not find it. So now that I've got it fixed up, I was thinking I would write up a quick doc and/or do a video to explain this simple process.

Because right now, it doesn't look like there is a clear explanation and the only way to find out is to piece together information from various forum posts or to post yet another thread in product support forums asking or help.

We don't have dedicated location to setup a Spec/Glass project for Painter at the moment.
That's something I could look into however.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.