Author Topic: Display Weirdness  (Read 3504 times)

I start painting in Painter 1.3.4 (Steam version on Win 7 64, AMD Radeon 7970) and it starts off like this,
then after a few strokes of painting the whole interface goes like this I can't figure out If I'm doing anything wrong, none of the keyboard shortcuts do anything. It happens after I've completed a stroke and sometimes it goes back to normal but then inevitably it will go back to terrible. halp!
thanks

I will need more details to be able to help you.
Such as your exact Painter version, your Operating system and your Hardware configuration.

Also give a shot at working at 2K instead of 4K to see how it goes.
Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:15:35 pm
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I'm getting this too. Painter 1.3.4, Windows 7 64bit, core i7-4930k, GTX 770

Substance Painter, version 1.3.4 Build 697 - ac0fafcbb468bd82d477ca167f69d712ec45e2dc (Steam version)
on Windows 7 64bit
Core i7-3820
32 GB ram
AMD Radeon 7970
(driver) AMD Catalyst 14.501.1003-141120a-177998C

Thanks guys, I added your issue in our database. We will investigate it further. For the moment I'm not able to reproduce it (I'm running on a GTX 770 myself).
If you can describe in details how and when it happens it will help us.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thanks Froyok. It seems to be some kind of GPU issue, although I could be wrong. I'm going to update my driver and see if that helps.

Basically, I'm painting away in a layer, adding details, and all of a sudden the entire UI and viewport goes pale like in the above images. It usually happens when its trying to update the viewport and the red bar has just finished loading at the bottom.

It also only seems to happen when I have already painted a certain amount of detail into a given layer. It still happens if I turn off a ton of other layers or even folders. However, it did make the problem less severe when I switched to 2k. I was able to paint more detail before this happens but it inevitably still happens.

EDIT: I've updated my drivers and its still happening.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure if this is related but I'm working with OpenGL normals.

Also, if you keep painting despite the whiteness it actually goes back to normal eventually.
Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:34:36 pm

If you can Ctrl-alt-del, check your CPU %. Mine was 98-99% when my screen turned pale like that and this is running 16gb of ram, GTX 780ti with an I7 4770k @ 4.3.

I've been keeping an eye on my performance and its well below anything worrying

yeah for me it's the same as thegreyman1, I am painting and there is a progress bar that appears before the display updates and then when that finishes the display is white. It's not happening on the sample files that come with Painter, in the limited testing that I've done. it happens intermittently on another file of mine, and I think it actually happens every single time on the file that I've shown in the screen caps. I don't know if it matters or not but I'm painting on the emissive channel when it happens.

I'm running into the same issue. I get it even when painting on the diffuse channel. My performance seemed fine when it happened. CPU was around 14%. RAM was about 8 GB.

Win 7 64-bit
16 GB RAM
Intel i5-2500K CPU @3.30GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

I'm DeadlyAccurate's other half...

I loaded her project into my copy of Substance Painter (also version 1.3.4) and I didn't get the problem at first. But after a couple of minutes, while accidentally making a stray brush stroke, the issue happened. It looks like a white overlay or film over the viewport and UI. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to when it happens. Sometimes you can paint for a while before it happens, other times it's immediate. As others reported, we haven't seen this issue with the sample files.

Her project was updated from 1.1.x to 1.3.4, if that helps. She's using 2048 resolution.

My specs (since it happens on both of our machines):
Windows 8.1 64 bit
AMD FX-8350 8-core @ 4GHz
32 GB RAM @ 1833 MHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 - GeForce driver 350.12 (currently up to date)
Performance well under threshold when it happens.

Thanks for all the information. We are currently looking into it.
-----------

Has there been any progress with this issue? Its crippling my workflow at the moment

We are still not able to reproduce the issue unfortunately, we tried on many computer and hardware configurations.
-----------

I have the same issue.

i7 3630QM
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GT 650M

Any workarounds yet?