Author Topic: FBX Importing issue  (Read 2318 times)

Hello all,

I have been having an issue importing my FBX file into Substance Painter. I've been following the Allegorithmic Substance in Unreal Engine 4 tutorial by the ninja Wes, to the point at which I bring my meshes into Substance Painter. So I have exported a grouped FBX, and have baked maps from separated parts. It seems when I import my grouped mesh into Substance Painter, one of the pieces position is translated to the side. Every other application I bring this mesh into does not apply this position translation, including Substance Designer. Does anyone know why this is happening only in Substance Painter? Also when I exported the grouped mesh as an OBJ the position translation is not applied, so it must have something to do with the way I have exported the FBX. However I have other issues with the OBJ file, as the smoothing groups are royally boned in that format for reasons I also know not the answers to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

Can you please try to apply a "Reset Xform" on your mesh before the export?
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Thanks, I'll give it a shot! Can you explain why the mesh appears differently in the 3 applications?

Thanks, I'll give it a shot! Can you explain why the mesh appears differently in the 3 applications?

Hey conradsly,

if the objects have non-zero transforms they will be moved to their own origins once imported into another application.
You need to freeze the transforms so the objects get zeroed out transforms.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Great, that worked guys, thanks for the tips! I had zeroed out the transforms previously, but only for the group. I applied the reset xform modifier to each piece and now it works properly :)

I do still wonder why this was only an issue in Substance Painter, and not in any other application  ???

The way the objects are handled is different in SD and SP; if you still have the previous mesh (with a different behavior in SD vs SP) don't hesitate to share it by email (it can help us as a test mesh to possibly make the importer more flexible in the future).

Thanks
Lead technical artist
gaetan.lassagne@allegorithmic.com

Thanks a everyone, really helpful!  :D