Author Topic: Bake maps issue - Faceted result (unsmooth)  (Read 3423 times)

Hello,
I'm sure this has already been asked, but I can't find an answer yet.

Baked maps are faceted. In 3dsmax they look fine and in SD viewport.
I use fbx format.

Any solution?
Thank you.
Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:35:55 am

Hey ilm1429,

this could be a smoothing group issue. For me it looks like the bakes show every single Polygon of the high poly.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

HI,

As Fabian mentioned, this is definitely a smoothing group issue. How did you export the meshes from 3ds Max? Are you using FBX or OBJ. When exporting from max, you need to make sure that smoothing groups are applied. On FBX export, I think this option is off by default. It is in Maya. Please check to make sure that you are exporting with smoothing groups and that you have smoothing groups applied to the mesh.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thank you for answering, sorry for late reply, I forgot to enable "notifiy".

Actually I'm using fbx, and I did enable "smoothing groups" in th export options. I even applied different smoothing operations on the mesh before exporting (select all faces and autosmooth them, and a smooth modifier as well), and verified more than once that the mesh looked smooth.
It is looking smooth in max, and even in SD, so I don't understand what's going on.

Hey
Do you think you can share the hi and low res meshes?

Hey

Thanks for your help.
The fact that it's not possible for me to share the model here, but I'll try to explain as much as I can the issues.

Hey

Thanks for your help.
The fact that it's not possible for me to share the model here, but I'll try to explain as much as I can the issues.

Hi,

Can you send me the models directly? I can help you off the public forums if you can't share this content. My email is wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thank you for that wes, I just sent it to you.

Hi, was there a solution to this problem? I have the exact same issue.