Author Topic: Paint on only ids in color selection?  (Read 4713 times)

Hiya, hope I can explain this well as I'm new to SP. I was wondering if there's a way to paint on only the areas within a color selection? Right now if I paint it's going across other selections.

thx!

I'm new to SP too, but what I do is right click the layer and click Add Black Mask, then use the Geometry Decal tool to paint certain areas white on the mask and the paint on that layer will only show up in the masked area. Does that work for you?

Hey guys,

you could use the 'Use mask with colour selection' feature found by clicking on the Configure Mask button in the layers window.
With a colour ID you can now choose the desired colour the mask should be based on.
In my example image you can see the ID Mask applied to the Object and how the colour selections create a mask in the Layer window.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hiya, I didn't want to start a new thread for this question, but it's ties in. Is it possible to paint on a mask with a color selection added? I'm trying to but it wouldn't allow me to alter the mask.

thx!

Hiya, I didn't want to start a new thread for this question, but it's ties in. Is it possible to paint on a mask with a color selection added? I'm trying to but it wouldn't allow me to alter the mask.

thx!
You will need Substance Painter 1.4.1. Add a paint effect over the color ID.
Or if you want to stay in your current version, create a new folder with a white mask and put your folder the color id in it. Paint on the white maks to hide the color selection.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Beautiful thx! Using 1.4.1

Cheers!

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to edit the baked Colour ID mask directly?
There are many occasions where I would want to add more materials or improve others without the need for edited highpoly models and re-baking.

Following on from this, and I see this is a frequently asked question, but when will we have the ability to export the baked maps, edit, then re-import maps from external packages. Without this functionality I'm not sure how it can fit into a studios pipeline.

I'm currently on a trial with v1.4.1 761

You can already export bakes. Use the export all channels option like if you were exporting the texture but choose the preset called "Additional maps". This will export the bakes.
You can also bring bakes from external apps by drag and dropping them in the Textures tab in the shelf. You can then feed the Additional maps slots in the TextureSet Settings window with these.

Editing the bakes in SP is planned but no ETA on it yet.