Author Topic: Blending modes  (Read 998 times)

Hi, I'm trying to understand the blending modes in Painter. I did a test with saturation and seem to work quite different to Photoshop.
In this example the number one tile is always in top and is the only one that changes the blending mode to saturation in the right version. In Photoshop it forces the colors below to match the saturation of the tile 1. Because it is the same saturation than tile 2 it becomes invisible over the tile 2 but not the background that have a different saturation. When trying to reproduce it in Painter the results not only don't match, also I can not understand what is going on and because that it is difficult to use it as a predictable tool. Any help about how this blending mode works in Painter?
Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:24:54 pm

Hey keytrom,

I tried to replicate your issue but for me it works just fine. The result is very similar to the Photoshop Blending Mode.
I set up the image in Photoshop and colour picked the values in Painter.
You also have to consider that Substance Painter uses lighting and another method of rendering than Photoshop so a little bit of an difference isn't an issue.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

I created a test file and reproduced the same error. I tried in another computer and the problem reappears. I have tried also other blending modes with similar problems. For example overlay is weaker than soft lighting when should be the opposite.
Can anyone download the project file include as attachment and test if the problem is also there?  It is a simple cube reproducing the test image above with 3 layers using Material-pbr-metal-rough shader. It is a question if it mimics the Photoshop behavior with saturation layers or the error included above.
I guess that or I'm doing some kind of error or the blending modes can change depending of unknown circumstances. It would be helpful to know if it is either.
Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:24:39 pm

Hey keytrom,

sorry for the late reply.
I just opened your .spp file and made a few tests within it. I get the same issue as you: The Saturation Blending Mode doesn't work.
When I restart Substance Painter with my own settings everything seems to be fine.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter