Author Topic: [SOLVED] Crash if baking with cages  (Read 2290 times)

I get an awful lot of crashes when baking.

Usually, I can fix this by making a new cage by duplicating the low-poly and then doing a push (in Modo). Not today. Every and all attempts on baking with a cage drops SP like a rock into cold water.

Any advice?

Edit: 30 seconds later, I might have found a solution: If the cage intersects other parts, SP crashes. Hope this is helpful. It crashes at random.
Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:09:39 pm
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

Other parts of itself (the cage mesh) or other parts as in the mesh the cage is used for or other parts as in other submeshes that don't belong to the current bake?
Sorry for nagging, that's some useful finding you have there :)

Other parts of itself (the cage mesh) or other parts as in the mesh the cage is used for or other parts as in other submeshes that don't belong to the current bake?
Sorry for nagging, that's some useful finding you have there :)

I am still working on it. It seems it's more random.

I have tried to export just the low poly part and hipoly to eliminate intersecting with other parts of the larger mesh. No intersections, but still crashes.

I am at a loss here and I don't know how to fix it or what I'm doing.

I will need more details in order to be able to help you.
Such as your Painter version, your Operating system and your Hardware configuration. Also your meshes if you can share them.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I will need more details in order to be able to help you.
Such as your Painter version, your Operating system and your Hardware configuration. Also your meshes if you can share them.

Thanks, froyok.

Substance Painter, version 1.3.3 - Build 672

These meshes will crash SP: http://ovh.to/hC5VAf1 .

I've looked into your meshes : Painter crash because you don't have UVs on your cage file. The fix is really simple : either don't sue your cage file or export it with the same UVs as your low-poly.
I will add the issue in our database however to display an error in this situation rather than crashing.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Excellent, thank you!  :)