Author Topic: Very new to Substance painter. Question about using substance.  (Read 3782 times)

As stated in my topic subject, I'm very new to this program. Lets say i finished modeling and now i want to begin texturing in substance painter. So i import to Substance painter.. i start painting/texturing my model. I'm finished. Where do i go from here? How do i import what i created in substance painter into maya to display what i made?

Sorry for the noob question. I cant find this information anywhere..

Also, would you recommend using this for walls and buildings? would you still texture in photoshop, then import into substance painter to create metals and scratches and such?

Thank you in advance. I've been looking for this info.
P.s. i am fairly new with modeling (a year and a half using it)

Hey psycho_strider,

Substance Painter exports bitmaps sou you'll end up with standard textures. These textures are PBR Textures so you need a renderer capable of displaying PBR maps.
Maya 2016 just came out with PBR support so you can just import your freshly made textures from Substance Painter right into the Stringray PBR Shader of Maya 2016 (LT).

I find it a lot faster and easier not to use Photoshop. You need to try a few things out and play around a bit, of course, but when you figured out how to do it fast and efficient, it's a smooth and nice workflow.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hi Fabian F.,

Thank you for the informative reply. I'm downloading maya 2016 student edition as we speak. Do you know of any tutorials that show how to import the substance into maya 2016? I cant quite figure out keywords that will show me what i'm looking for. Does maya open spp. files? Maybe i need to learn about using PBR textures first. I'm not sure exactly where to start.

Hey psycho_strider,

Substance Painter exports bitmaps sou you'll end up with standard textures. These textures are PBR Textures so you need a renderer capable of displaying PBR maps.
Maya 2016 just came out with PBR support so you can just import your freshly made textures from Substance Painter right into the Stringray PBR Shader of Maya 2016 (LT).

I find it a lot faster and easier not to use Photoshop. You need to try a few things out and play around a bit, of course, but when you figured out how to do it fast and efficient, it's a smooth and nice workflow.

Best Regards

So i applied a stingray pbs shader to my model, and it allowed me to add the different texture maps.. after i did so i applied the stingray shader to my model, and my model just turns red. I'm not sure what i have to do for it to show up. Any suggestions?

make sure you are in viewport 2.0 and directx11 in maya
you can find the directx mode under Windows/Settings and Preferences/Preferences/Display and at the bottom you will see the setting for opengl or directx.

The Stingray PBR shader is similar or possibly the same as the one for Maya 2015 which can be found here:
http://www.kostas.se/

make sure you are in viewport 2.0 and directx11 in maya
you can find the directx mode under Windows/Settings and Preferences/Preferences/Display and at the bottom you will see the setting for opengl or directx.

The Stingray PBR shader is similar or possibly the same as the one for Maya 2015 which can be found here:
http://www.kostas.se/

fantastic that helped me out!! i can finally view it now :]
Any idea what the textures dont have a rough looking surface or its sculpted in? (similar to using normal maps, how it creates an illusion of depth). Mine looks flat, but the texture is there of course. how to i create normal map using substance? when i export i receive a file named Normal_DirectX. So i placed it in the normal, but i'm not exactly getting exactly what i see in substance painter.

I apologize for my terrible way of asking questions. I really dont know a lot about shaders. I'm trying my best to learn as much as possible by watching videos on it.

edit: okay i see what i did wrong. I had the normal map in the wrong spot.  I do notice that some of the stuff i made, for example a metallic texturing that looks like its popping up, in maya is going the opposite direction. So it looks like a dent instead.

anyone know any good tutorials for creating interior stuff (like walls and rooms) with substance painter?
Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:46:38 am