Author Topic: Visible UV-seam in SP from Modo-bake  (Read 4186 times)

Greetings,

First of all, I am still a rookie when it comes to creating UVs and baking. Now, I created an UV-map for a low-poly object and baked the normal information from the high-poly. I used Modo 801 for baking, which worked fine, but when I import the mesh into SP and apply the normal map I get some REALLY visible seams (see the picture). There are no visible seams in the Modo viewport with 'Advanced OpenGL' as the render mode. I was wondering if anyone might have some thoughts on my issue?

Many thanks in advance, anything on the problem is much appreciated. :)

without seeing both your high and low poly mesh its a little hard to see whats going on, however here are sosme things to keep in mind.
1. are you generating opengl normal maps or directx.  And make sure you set the way painter handles normal maps correctly when you load you mesh.  You can also change this setting after the fact by going to Edit/Project Configuration.
2. where ever you have a hard edge on your low mesh, you need to break the UV apart or the normals wont bake properly.

Here is a site I point people to to help understand baking.
http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Common+XNormal+Baking+Errors+and+How+to+Solve+Them
this talks about baking in xnormal, but the same rules apply.

Hope this helps

without seeing both your high and low poly mesh its a little hard to see whats going on, however here are sosme things to keep in mind.
1. are you generating opengl normal maps or directx.  And make sure you set the way painter handles normal maps correctly when you load you mesh.  You can also change this setting after the fact by going to Edit/Project Configuration.
2. where ever you have a hard edge on your low mesh, you need to break the UV apart or the normals wont bake properly.

Here is a site I point people to to help understand baking.
http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC2/Common+XNormal+Baking+Errors+and+How+to+Solve+Them
this talks about baking in xnormal, but the same rules apply.

Hope this helps

Hi,

As Gregg mentioned above, there can be several reasons for seams appearing in the bake. The info he posted is the place to start.

It sounds like you are having an issue with seams due to differences in tangent basis. Each baker and renderer uses a different basis through which to bake the normals. If the basis in the renderer don't match, you will get seams. This explains why baking in modo and viewing in modo's viewport doesn't show seams. The baker and viewport are "synced" which is to say the baker and viewport renderer use the same tangent basis.

However, Painter is using a different tangent basis. Also, with Painter, you should triangulate the mesh before baking. This way, different triangulation methods don't affect it as well. I would recommend baking in Painter so that you are using the same tangent basis while you work in Painter. If you don't want to do this, you will need to manually fix seams using methods that Greg described above such as where ever you have a hard edge on your low mesh, you need to break the UV apart or the normals wont bake properly.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja