Author Topic: Windows 8, x86, x64 and ARM support for procedural materials.  (Read 4080 times)

I would really like to see this supported in the near future.  I can get away with baking my textures for now, but I believe it defeats the purpose of using Substances as they provide the most powerful way to get truely modern effects in a very performant and engaging manner.

I started a post here in Unity feedback for this, and I hope others too see the benefits to being able to use this capabilty of Allegorithmic substances and Unity 3D engine.

As it currently is, this affects all 'metro' application development for not just desktop WSA (windows store applications), but all phone variants and tablets (ARM as well as x86, x64).

http://feedback.unity3d.com/unity/all-categories/1/hot/active/allegorithmic-procedural-materia

Unfortunately it is not top priority for now as the market is so small and it represents a big chunk of work on our side, but this may change in the future.

:(

understood,... thanks for considering it for the future.. maybe.

apologies for the necro-thread, but I was just curious if any plans for MetroPlayer and Procedural Materials has made it to your roadmap?

I'm also very interested in knowing this. Windows Phone 8 has been steadily increasing its market share. Is the effort to support WP8 that great?

Any updates on this? I see that even Unity 4.5 doesn't have a fix for this. Can I expect this in near future?

I second that! We need procedural materials for Win Surface and Phone 8.1!

Could anyone from Allegorithmic please chime in on this? Is this something that has any chance of seeing the light of day in a year?

We still haven't anything planned regarding this.

I am having a hard time arguing in favor of substance designer atm, when you continue to ignore windows mobile platforms. Especially with the uprising of Universal apps…

Now I have no numbers to base this on, but in my mind, there must be a huge potential market of substance hungering windows mobile developers, just waiting to jump on the Allegorithmic wagon.  ;D

So I am curious to know why you guys haven’t made that move yet?

I am having a hard time arguing in favor of substance designer atm, when you continue to ignore windows mobile platforms. Especially with the uprising of Universal apps…

Now I have no numbers to base this on, but in my mind, there must be a huge potential market of substance hungering windows mobile developers, just waiting to jump on the Allegorithmic wagon.  ;D

So I am curious to know why you guys haven’t made that move yet?

Same reason as a year ago - market share.

IMO, there are still many benefits in using substance designer from a workflow perspective (unless you like mucking around with tons of layers in photoshop). Just no runtime procedural generation.

Hello again,

I'm just checking to see if the stance on Windows Platform support has changed any?  The landscape for Windows game development is evolving significantly, and the latest announcements from GDC 2015 have garnered some interesting changes for all of Microsoft's platforms for developers.

Microsoft GDC 2015 brief: http://pureinfotech.com/2015/03/05/microsoft-gdc-2015-announcements-future-windows-10-xbox-one-gaming/

"With the new app model platform developers can create games and apps that run on PCs, tablets, phones, and Xbox One, even for HoloLens."

I know in the past this support has been justifiably trumped due to marketshare, but now that the Universal development model is taking shape for Windows platforms.. is there any possible chance to re-evaluate? 

Hello,

I apologize again for necroing this post, but I figured I'd add a link to the User Voice request I made for this subject.

I hope others will vote it up....

http://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/257908-substance-designer/suggestions/7207572-procedural-material-support-for-universal-apps-for