Author Topic: [SOLVED] Is it possible to use a stencil overlay in Substance Painter?  (Read 3627 times)

This is my favorite thing about Mudbox (overlaying a stencil onscreen and projecting through it to add letters/numbers). I'm still getting a handle on Painter and was curious if this is possible (or might be in a future update).
Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:23:40 pm
3D art is magic.

Hey pawnswizard,

you can use Stencils with the Standard Brush. Just click on 'Stencil' in the Stencil Tab.
If you want to use custom Stencils you need to make sure that they have a 1:1 ratio so they won't stretch.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

That is excellent! Thank you Fabian.
3D art is magic.

Hey pawnswizard,

you can use Stencils with the Standard Brush. Just click on 'Stencil' in the Stencil Tab.
If you want to use custom Stencils you need to make sure that they have a 1:1 ratio so they won't stretch.

Best Regards

Where'd you get that ABC/# stencil Fabian? That would be very useful... *hint hint*

Hey victoranthonyburgos,

you'll find two of them in the list of Stencils you can use when selecting one. One is 'Font Arial' and the other is 'Font Time New Roman'.

Best Regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hello,

is there a way to use the color of a stencil? I'm trying to paint on a label for a mesh that uses different colors. I can get the stencil on but none of the colors go with it. I'm using a stencil with a color image in the center with a black background. Is there something that explains this process a bit better?

*edit* Alright so I just went to use projection painting which helps, but it seems I can't use the same image for stencils and projection painting? It's not really a big deal but I'd just like to know if there is a better process for this. I'm using projection painting then using a stencil of the same size to add stuff like height.

Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:24:04 pm