Author Topic: Imported Objects Don't Retain Sub patching  (Read 1760 times)

rsb

I'm sure this is something I'm doing or not doing, but I've created a simple barrel, turned on sub patching to smooth it out and then exported it as an object and also as an fbx file. When I import either of these files into SD, you can tell the sup-patching wasn't retained. You can see the flat sides that make up the cylinder. I'm new to SD and maybe an intermediate at modeling. Is there a setting that I missed? Thanks

Hey rsb,

the object need to be made out of polygons. You can smooth/subdivide the object for sure, but at the end you need to end up with polygons and not caged subdivisions, for instance.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

rsb

Thanks Fabian. But I think it is made of polygons as shown in the sub-patched photo. But I think this may be an issue with Lightwave. I created the barrel in Lightwave 3d 11.6. When I import it into ZBrush or SD, you can see in the other images it isn't retaining its smoothness. However, if I export from 3DS Max that is sub-patched, it looks like it retains its smoothness when imported into SD. I'll do some more experimenting, but it seems that Lightwave doesn't want to play with others. Unless I've missed some setting in that software. Off to their forum I guess. :-)

rsb

Oh and here are the images.

I think Fabian meant that your model should consist of only polygons. SD cannot recognise modifiers from other 3d apps.
You will need to convert your model to pure polygons in your 3D package. You can then after painting in SD bring in your painted maps in you program and apply them to the model you worked with.

Regards, Robert
Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:38:23 am

rsb

Ok. I think I understand. Thanks again

Ok. I think I understand. Thanks again

Hi,

Yes as mentioned above, you can't use a sub-patch or subdivision preview method in Substance. Before export, you need to freeze the sub-patch (lightwave) subdivision preview (maya) before export. This will increase the poly count a great deal, so it can be best to utilize a normal map to "simulate" the high resolution data. I would recommend using your low res mesh and then baking the frozen sub-patched version as to create a normal map for viewing in Substance.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja